Only a few channels are stuttering over a 100Mbps LAN (1 Viewer)

toz

Portal Member
February 18, 2008
Home Country
France France
Hi ! I'm using TV Server over a 100 Mbps LAN. On the TV Server computer everything is great, I can stream every channel with MediaPortal from localhost without any problem. When I try to stream over the LAN (I tried on 3 different computers) some channels are badly stuttering (nearly every second). These are always the same channels (France2 (GR1), France3 Alpes (TVR), France5 (GR1), Arte (GR1), LCP (GR1) and FR3 Rhône). Most of them are on the same transponder. Other channels work perfectly.

I thought it was because my LAN was unable to deal with the necessary bandwith (I have no receiving problem because it works smoothly on the server) so I used a bandwith meter software ON THE SERVER computer while watching two channels.

TF1 is OK, no stuttering. France 2 is badly stuttering. As you can see France 2 output bandwith is weird.

I hope someone will be able to help me.

Another thing : I'm able to stream EVERY channel smoothly using VLC nightly build version. That's why I'm sure there's a software problem, not a network one. MediaPortal's interface is far best than VLC's that's why I'm looking for answers.

TV-Server Version: tvengine3-02-14-2008--05-07h--Rev17388
MediaPortal Version: MediaPortal-svn--02-14-2008--05-04-Rev17388
MediaPortal Skin: default
Windows Version: XP SP2
CPU Type: Server : P4 2,4 Ghz Client : Athlon 3200+
HDD: 7200 rpm with enough free space
Memory: Server : 1024 Mo Client : 2048 Mo
Motherboard: Asus P4PE
1. TV Card: Leadtek DTV 1800H
1. TV Card Type: Hybrid (using only DVB-T)
1. TV Card Driver: 6.0.109.34
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV Decoder filter (on client)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA Decoder filter (on client)
Satelite/CableTV Provider: French DVB-T (TnT)

Sorry for my english :p

toz

Portal Member
February 18, 2008
Home Country
France France
bug !

It seems that nobody reported this kind of bug, however I would like to say that this problem is not because of the nightly build version because I tried a lot of different version since one month, maybe two ... and the bug is always the same.

I know it's a weird bug. I'm okay to try anything you'll suggest me :rolleyes:

:D

toz

Portal Member
February 18, 2008
Home Country
France France
Are my explanations (or my english) too bad or is it my problem that is too much complicated ?

I'm pretty sure I found a bug in the netcode but I wanted to hear some suggestions first.

PLEASE HELP ME ! :eek:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Frequency springs to mind on this one, are you using using at least a cat5 grade cable.

Interference has many effects, this may be one of them.

Not an expert on wired LAN, but deal with electronics on a daily basis and have seen many strange side effects over the years.

toz

Portal Member
    February 18, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Paranoid Delusion : Thank you for your answer.
    As you can see in the graph the channel named TF1 (a working channel)is streamed with a nearly constant upload bitrate. France 2 (a stuttering channel) has a weird upload transfer graph.
    TF1 streaming over the LAN works well with MediaPortal, streaming of France2 also works fine over the LAN with VLC.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Paranoid Delusion : Thank you for your answer.
    As you can see in the graph the channel named TF1 (a working channel)is streamed with a nearly constant upload bitrate. France 2 (a stuttering channel) has a weird upload transfer graph.
    TF1 streaming over the LAN works well with MediaPortal, streaming of France2 also works fine over the LAN with VLC.

Most likely the bitrate is just bigger on the channels that dont play well on MP. VLC has propably a bigger cache for the stream data so that might explain why it works and MP not.

toz

Portal Member
    February 18, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi ! Someone on the MediaPortal IRC Channel asked me if the problem was the same with GBPVR software that I didn't know anything about. DVB-T channel streaming works perfectly with every channel when using GBPVR !
    I would say there's a bug in the MediaPortal's netcode. Any other idea ?

I could switch to GBPVR but I really like MediaPortal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom