[Music] Only strip 'The' for sort (1 Viewer)

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Started on: 2010-02-02
    last update: 2010-02-02

Summary:
    In music, when the option is checked to strip 'The, Das, Les' etc. from music tags for sorting, Artist/Album Artist are also displayed within the GUI with the prefix stripped. In my opinion it would be tidier if the music plugin displayed with the natural title.

Area:
    Music Facade

Description:
    Currently 'The Beatles' is sorted alphabetically into 'B' and is displayed as 'Beatles, The' in music facade. I believe that in the User Interface the human-readable 'The Beatles' should be displayed, whilst still sorting alphabetically in 'B'.

Previously requested 2008-12-10.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I agree entirely,

I've recently also made my opinion known, I just hadn't developed it for a suggestion. I believe MovingPictures has it right... Both MyMusic and MyVideos should follow the logic as well. Use the "The" prefix as part of the name, only ignore the prefix for the purpose of sorting and displaying the list. The renaming convention that MP uses isn't universally understood, so plugins for scraping fanart and such have difficulty performing nicely, and idiosyncrasies crop up in normal operation. There are enough issues between naming conventions and everyday usage in tags, file names, fanart repositories and MP naming forms to make your head spin.

I think that visually, the 'official' name of an artist or video should be used, while sorting requires a more practical usage... I really don't like to scroll down a long list of artists or videos with the prefix 'The' at nearly the end of the list, when looking for 'The Band', when it's place makes sense to be in the B's, but common sense and grammar usage requires the 'The' prefix be used, and, as well, pushing the prefix to the end of the name creates difficulties in searches requiring accurate spellings.

regards,

Chuck

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is why I badgered the devs into adding the composer tag into the database.

I have my files tagged so
    Album Artist => The Beatles
    Composer => Beatles, The

This also means you can do things like
    Album Artist => Eric Clapton
    Composer => Clapton, Eric

I used this setup in my very old HTPC running Meedio and the views were then setup so the A-Z listing was based on composer tag and then the details underneath showed Album Artist but sorted on Composer.

However it does not work properly in MP and I don't think this is going to change for MP1 :(

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    +1 for morstar's suggestion "Leave artist name as 'The Beatles' but sort as 'B'

-1 for jameson_uk's suggestion, I disagree with your solution ;)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    -1 for jameson_uk's suggestion, I disagree with your solution ;)
    I agree it is far from ideal but whilst it is simple to strip out The, Les, Los, De .... it is harder with names.

Eric Clapton should be under "C" but show as "Eric Clapton", James Brown should be under "B" but shown as "James Brown" etc.

I have not seen a better way of doing this (would be interested if there is a better way though)

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, do this just as other music repositories do: Have a database column for Artist Name Sorting (and Album Name Sorting). This allows the importer to do the following:
    ArtistName = tags.AlbumArtist; // unchanged
    ArtistNameSort = StripPrefix(tags.AlbumArtist,listStripPrefix); // New field

and use the field ArtistNameSort for sorting purposes.

P.S.: Excuse the pseudo code ;)

Hmm, answered to a long ago discussion because I was searching for something similar. Will post this on 1.3 improvement suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom