Option to choose during installation what plugins are installed & enabled (1 Viewer)

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    It would be nice to choose what plugins are 1) installed and 2) enabled during the installation.

Current installation installs and enables a lot of plugins that I don't need.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Only one opinion of course, but I think this might put new users off. Installation is fairly easy right now, and anything which complicates it is a bad thing.

Although you may not use the plugins which are active, for a new user would them being active cause a problem?

Best wishes,

Mark

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Mediaportal itself is complicated enough so making installation as easy as possible doesn't change much.

I just hate the way plugins are configured in configuration but if I understood correctly, there has been a change for that part in UI lately.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Mediaportal itself is complicated enough so making installation as easy as possible doesn't change much.

Yes it is, but we are trying to improve things, already removed plugins that where known to be not working in current release.

Removing\disabling more would decrease the actual concept of MP and cause even more confusion.

Again, think you are more going down the concept of MP2, where just the basics are supplied and then everything else will be a add-on, to be downloaded\installed as needed.

Regards

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland

Yes it is, but we are trying to improve things, already removed plugins that where known to be not working in current release.

Removing\disabling more would decrease the actual concept of MP and cause even more confusion.

Again, think you are more going down the concept of MP2, where just the basics are supplied and then everything else will be a add-on, to be downloaded\installed as needed.

Regards

Improving and making things simpler are two different things.

But I wasn't saying that anything should be removed, disabled or changed in default installation. I just want easy way to get rid of plugins and components during the installation process that I don't need.

BTW, many programs (MS Office for example) have a possibility to configure what is actually installed during the setup. It's very common feature in installers and that's why it shouldn't confuse users that much.

Users who are viewing this thread