[other] Option to choose quality of recordings (1 Viewer)

Marcuscv

May 26, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Maybe I am missing it but can you add the option to choose the quality of the recordings? For example if I wanted to record a TV show in DVD quality format I can select that. Or to save space I can choose to record in VCD format. So I would like to see an option to choose which recording quality I want (eg: VCD, SVCD... up to DVD). :D

technick

Portal Pro
May 6, 2009
Home Country
France France
Welcome to you,

Mediaportal save the stream exactly as he receive it, there is no process on it so your request is (I think) "impossible" with Mediaportal 1, perhaps in MP 2 ;-)

Technick

PS: it could be a good idea but you will need to have a very big processor

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    you can already choose the quality of analogue recordings (Schedule Recordings - MediaPortal Wiki) but for digital recordings they are a direct copy of the stream. To change the quality would mean re-encoding which is not brilliant on the fly and would normally be done after the recording has finished.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I guess an "Archiver" plugin should come into place here. The requirments would be:
    - Select individual recordings to be archived
    - Set default archiving (transcoding) options
    - Allow overriding transcoding.

When transcoded the new file should be removed from Recorded TV and moved to My Videos or TV Series depending on settings. Someone interested to build this?

Marcuscv

May 26, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    you can already choose the quality of analogue recordings (Schedule Recordings - MediaPortal Wiki) but for digital recordings they are a direct copy of the stream. To change the quality would mean re-encoding which is not brilliant on the fly and would normally be done after the recording has finished.
    Thanks jameson_uk you answered my question. Now I can switch from my current PVR package to MediaPortal. It is similar to the setup in my current PVR software. See image below.

configEditCaptureSettings.jpg

Like to give my idea on mbuzina suggestion. After the recording is completed and the comskip is finished should be able to convert the default format to a smaller format.
    The process is as follows:

Conversion Processing

Set to automatically convert your recordings to another format, (transcode), each recording is ‘queued’ for transcode. You can set a time frame for the transcoding to occur.
    One by one, your recordings will be transcoded on low CPU priority, until the queue is empty.
    Wake machine for conversion
    Wakes your computer from Hybernation/Standby for conversion.
    Delete original recording after conversion
    Cleans up after transcoding.
    Update database to point to converted file (which would be a much smaller file)
    After each of the transcodes, MediaPortal will modify the database to point to the new file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom