[no Bug] OS X Lion SMB to Windows BUG (1 Viewer)

ajsman

July 26, 2011
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: Stream Mp
Windows Version: Windows 7
CPU Type: Duo Core
HDD: 500ggb
Memory: 4 gb
Motherboard: Apple

Apple have dropped the support for Samba (SMB) and inplanted there own version of it to enable windows filesharing system. It all work according to plan but when launching Mediaportal and trying to access the files it says (can play the movie). This is due to that mediaportal doesnt support the new SMB driver. All the other HTPC Software has the same error. This error only apply for those hows got a Apple computer as "server" sharing to a Windows computer.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome to MediaPortal and thanks for reporting this problem.

Sorry if this comes across as a little heavy-handed, but you haven't really provided enough information to allow us to work out whether there is actually a bug, or how we might fix it.

Could you take a look at the bug-reporting guidelines (sticky thread in this forum section) and answer the following:

1. Can you access the share from Windows and play the video correctly?

2. What 'all other HTPC software' also has the same error? This would suggest that this is not a MP bug. MediaPortal does not 'support SMB drivers'. It simply accesses the files on a share.

3. Where are your logs?

Mark

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    MP does not support anything to do with shares. If it works in Windows it will work in MP. Having read around a bit this is down to Apple not liking the GPL so have removed SAMBA and replaced it with their own implementation. You would need to get this working outside of MP first anyway.

Either way, this is not a bug in MP. If something was needed application side (I see no reason why it should be on an application by application basis) then this would be a new feature request not a bug

ajsman

July 26, 2011
    It's not a "bug". Lion has dropped support of Samba in OS X Lion and implanted there own Windows Filesharing Protocol.
    XBMC has the same problem and so does boxee. You can access the files from windows but they won't play in Mediaportal (i don't know where to find the logs).

You can find some more info and how to fix it at:
    OSX Lion Samba SMB shares broken – XBMC not working | John Large – Technology & life Blog

According to some sites this is due to SMBX1 that is implanted in Mediaportal and XBMC. In other forums they talk about changing the way Mediaportal utilize the files in fileshare. But I'm no expert.

I have solved the problem on my end by installing Samba 3.0 over Lion's own SMB. So now it works as it should. But still this problem remain a fact for those that trying to access shared files from a Os X Lion computer on a windows 7 system.

My guess is that the problem is how Mediaportal handle files and the only real solution to this problem is if some dev. do exactly what i did. Upgrade to lion and trying to play files from W7 thats on the lion computer via smb filesharingprotocol.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    According to some sites this is due to SMBX1 that is implanted in Mediaportal and XBMC. In other forums they talk about changing the way Mediaportal utilize the files in fileshare. But I'm no expert.
    My guess is that the problem is how Mediaportal handle files and the only real solution to this problem is if some dev. do exactly what i did. Upgrade to lion and trying to play files from W7 thats on the lion computer via smb filesharingprotocol.

My understanding is that Apple's implementation of file sharing with windows has basically dropped support for SMB1 so you can no longer share with XP (and probably a lot of old NAS boxes). SMB2 was new in Vista but I don't think the Apple implementation actually implements this directly.

MP however does not have SMB1 implanted in it; it uses standard windows API calls. My understanding is that the SMB2 stuff is handled lower down so the calls we are using are already SMB2 aware.

Were you able to access your shares on your Lion box direct from explorer in Win7 ?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Not sure what Apple has done - probably dropped Samba and uses some own SMB 1 / 2 based network sharing for Windows OSes in the Lion version of OSX. Like other have already stated in this thread, this is an OS level issue (most likely created by Apple, unless their implementation is exposing a bug on Windows side). Unfortunately there is nothing that MediaPortal could do to fix - issue must be resolved on OS level. Make sure that you can access the shared content on the server by Windows Explorer or any other tool - that way you can be sure that the issue is not MP only.

I would suggest you to report a bug to the Apple - as a workaround you can downgrade from the Lion or use self compiled Samba.

ps. if I remember correctly XBMC (and therefore boxee and other XBMC variants as well) are having own SMB code - this is most likely a legacy from Xbox times. MediaPortal on the ther hand doesn't have any own SMB code, but instead it relies completely on the OS' support on SMB.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Schicksal

Portal Pro
    February 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: OS X Lion SMB to Windows BUG

still a problem?
    install the combo update and not over the system integrated update function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom