OS X Mediaportal in VMware Fusion (1 Viewer)

validis

December 16, 2007
I am currently setting up media portal on my new macbook pro. I have everything working in vista on bootcamp. I am currently experimenting trying to get mediaportal to run as an emulated program in leopard. I have tried to use the parrells program , this got vista working , but it would crash when I loaded mediaportal. (direct 3d support not working)

Under Vmware Fusion I did get mediaportal to load , and I was able to browse etc perfectly. I am however unable to play videos.

Has anyone else tried to get mediaportal running under os x?

handya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i would like too, but i have had no luck, other than boot camp which is a pain.
    but if i realy want too, i start a time shift on the tvserver and then open it in vlc player

validis

December 16, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback, I am trying to decide if I will keep using vista on the mac mini and run mediaportal with the tvseries plugin. I have been looking at some of the media player programs for the mac. The only on that comes close to my needs at the moment is XBMC (I am currently not using the tv portion of mediaportal until I buy a new tv card.)

jenz

February 27, 2007
    Zürich
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    May I say "me too"?. I tried MP on Parallels and VMWare Fusion. It works on both with Direct3D support enabled, I can use the MCE Remote to control it. However, I can't play neither movies nor DVDs. - Think we need some log files to sort this out.

The point of installing MP on OSX is that you can use generic PC USB-devices even if they are unsupported by OSX . I have a two monitor system, a MCE remote and a Pinnacle USB-Hybrid Stick (that doesn't work on my Vista x64 box). FrontRow doesn't work on the second monitor, I hate the Apple Remote, EyeTV is nice but doesn't integrate into FrontRow, and the other OSX remote solutions are far away from what MP offers.

So at least in my case, using MP on Fusion or Parallels would be the best solution, running it fullscreen on the second monitor, give my spouse/kids/friends the MCE remote and let them entertain themselves while doing my stuff on the main screen.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Try the VMware Fusion v2 beta, that has better DX support. TO be honest though, its never going to work that well. If you are not using TV either try XBMC or Elisa

jenz

February 27, 2007
    Zürich
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi revs, thank for pointing me to Elisa, that one looks great, and the OSX version might be a good FrontRow replacement (if it solves my second monitor issue). But it doesn't have TV support, so I'd have to use EyeTV instead (which is in fact not so bad).

But I try Fusion 2 first, for the following reason: I have already MP on my Windows box, and like to stick to what's already working (and accepted in the household). Besides that, I still like the MCE remote better than the Apple one (the one that came with my TV Stick is a mess too), so MP on Fusion would be the best solution for me.

Cheers, Jens

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom