OSD for DVD controls & other nubee stuff (1 Viewer)

jwcolby

Portal Member
August 9, 2008
North Carolina
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey guys

HTPC Nubee here. I am very well versed in PCs, build my own etc., programmer / database stuff, but NOT HTPCs. Please take it easy with the acronyms or point me to a dictionary of terms/

I just downloaded and installed MP RC2 last night and I have a few questions. I am installed over Windows MCE rollup2. I do not yet have a TV card and am not sure when I will get one. I am trying to let the dust settle with the cable company, analog / digital etc so I don't buy a card that won't work in six months. Any words of advice on that card would be appreciated. I have an analog tv now and haven't even figtured out how to go to flat panel yet.

I am trying to do things like rip DVDs to my hard disk and play from there but I am just not finding any way to get MP to find the ripped DVDs. I can play DVDs from the dvd player but I can find no navigation toolbar like you see on a dvd player - play / pause / forward / reverse etc. so questions:

1) Does MP have the standard DVD navigation toolbar somewhere? MCE would allow you to drag the mouse to the bottom of the screen and the navigation bar would pop up.

Actually what appears to be happening is that when I go to the configuration wizard, THEN the navigation toolbar shows up at the top of the screen. It seems that something is out of whack there, the navigation wizard should show when I am watching the movie, not when I am in a config menu.

2) How do I get MP to look for DVDs in a directory and get them into the database? Likewise for music, I plan on ripping my CDs again, as my previous rip was years ago and there is so much better sound now.

3) Does MP have built in stuff for ripping DVDs. I have ripping tools but some of these MP type programs appear to have that stuff right inside of the program. Is it legal to discuss that side of things in these forums, I certainly don't want to cause legal issues. I bought the DVDs, I just want to rip them to disc so that I can minimize the damage to the discs. I have children!:D

4) How do I set up my computer to use a remote? Is there a IR sensor that connects to something, perhaps a usb port or something? Does that come with the TV card and so I have to get that card?

I am hoping that MP is the right software for me. I like the open source concept with constant development by enthusiasts, and not being tied to a company that may go away etc.

Thanks for any comments, and I will be reading through the forums as well to see what I can find on my questions.

John W. Colby
ColbyConsulting

Windows MCE Rollup2, SP3, MSI K9NBPM2-FID, AMD X2 2800, (2) gigs Ram, (1) 640G IDE HD - 60G system, 580G media, (1) 120G IDE OS Backup / Image, (2) Sony IDE DVD.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    1) Does MP have the standard DVD navigation toolbar somewhere? MCE would allow you to drag the mouse to the bottom of the screen and the navigation bar would pop up.

MP really is designed for remote control use, keyboard can be used, but a mouse is terrible for controlling this application.

2) How do I get MP to look for DVDs in a directory and get them into the database? Likewise for music, I plan on ripping my CDs again, as my previous rip was years ago and there is so much better sound now.

MP Config\Video\database use whichever source you select ie imdb_com add that for your scanning option and then point it at your movie\s folders and scan (tip, ripped DVD's i cut'n'paste name including year from imdb com), do same for music.

3) Does MP have built in stuff for ripping DVDs. I have ripping tools but some of these MP type programs appear to have that stuff right inside of the program. Is it legal to discuss that side of things in these forums, I certainly don't want to cause legal issues. I bought the DVDs, I just want to rip them to disc so that I can minimize the damage to the discs. I have children!

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/plugins-47/mediaslayer-cd-dvd-hd-ripping-tool-v1-0a-37606/
    As for discussions about ripping own dvd\cd's they are fine, as long as no links to software\dodgy download websites are involved.

4) How do I set up my computer to use a remote? Is there a IR sensor that connects to something, perhaps a usb port or something? Does that come with the TV card and so I have to get that card?

Most people use the MCE remote, its supported out of the box and receiver just plugs into usb port, just no hassle :)

Welcome to MP :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom