OSD missing on TV step jump (and others) (1 Viewer)

fer2

Portal Member
April 13, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
TV-Server Version: NOT installed!!
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 Final
MediaPortal Skin: Blue 3 wide
Windows Version: XP prof
CPU Type: AMD Athlon
HDD: 320 G
Memory: 1G
Motherboard: Asus
Video Card: Nvidia
1. TV Card: Hauppauge 1100
1. TV Card Type: Hybrid
1. TV Card Driver: ?
h.264 Video Codec: fddshow
Remote: Hauppauge
TV: sansung full HD 1080p 16:9
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-HDMI

I did not report this problem before because it is so evident that I though it was fixed in the final release. I noticed this problem from RC3 on: Using the original and extremly good TV plugin (compared to TV server) the OSD information is missing when advancing/rewarding by jump steps. It is very usefull to advance say 5 minutes by pressing several times the remote control corresponding button, but, since the information of the jump is missing, this operation becomes impossible (I press the button several times but I do not know hoy much time is goind to jump since the information is missing on the screen). Please, do not tell me to use TV server because I found the normal TV engine much better and it has at least two or three features that are necessary for me and they are missing in TV server (not to talk about speed and stability).

Another bug I would like to report is a problem with the time-shift buffer: Sometimes I have problems to go beyond the last half an hour (sometime even less time) or just navigate when I move around the timeshift buffer. I have noticed this problem from the early MP versions I've been using since two years ago.

I reported in the past some problems on keeping the 1:1 Aspect Ratio while in Zoom mode, but I have found that I have this problem with one specific TV channel, so it is probably a problem with the TV station enconding and not a MP problem, but I think it is interesting if you know it anyway.

Thank you very much for this wonderfull piece of software. I've been using it for years in my main TV set in my living room. Good job.

Fer

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi fer2,

I'm sorry but there is no more development on inbuilt TV engine. Please switch to TV-Server ;)

Simone

fer2

Portal Member
    April 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    TV server is worst

Hello,

I did as suggested and I installed again TV server. The litle bugs I reported in this thread are gone but then I have a bigger bug: the TV3 server itself. After a hard installation and configuration process everything was working, but after several unspected and unreproducible crashes, slow performance and lack of stability I uninstalled TV server again and now I'm back to the nice, fast, stable though unsupported old TV engine.

Seriously speaking, it is the third of four time I try to use the TV server and though it has evolved and improved itself a lot from the first time I tried it, it is far from being as good as the old TV engine. I see no advantages of using TV3, instead, there are a lot of problems with it, from installing, configuring and using it. It is definetly not good for single seat using; it should be used only for its purpose: a tv server to service several clients, but I wonder how many people is using MP for this purpose. You have dedicated so much effort to TV3 and it is below the old engine, just imagine you have pushed the old engine this way...

Please, think of making a survey on MP utilization (as you already did with screen size and resolution) you will be probably surprised to see that many people is still using the old tv engine. Think also of the poor impression a new MP user may have when installing and testing MP the first time with the TV server: suden chrases, slow operation, etc. without giving them the opportunity to test the old tv engine which gives the impression of a solid application, not the usual freeware application plenty of bugs and unspected cratches, along with messy configuration.

Many of us, long time MP users, use MP for single seat living room TV set home entertainment center. It is used not only for us, experts in bugs work arounds, but wife, sons, and other family members not at all interested on challenging computer problems to be solved. May be it is interesing for us, but not for them.

Please, consider my comments for the future MP2: do not build it on a TV client-server architecture that is prooved to be a lot more complicated and buggy than the simple single seat. You will get more for your time and effort. Besides, you may try to port TV3, but keeping in mind that the major use of MP is single seat.

I hope my comments are heard.

Good job anyway. MP rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom