OTA - DVB and EPG (1 Viewer)

Mashenden

Portal Pro
January 13, 2006
Richmond, VA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
My setup - Server PC with MP v 1.0.2, MP TV Server and FTR 1.4.0.1, with 3 PC clients (w/o TV server). My dual digital tuner card (Hauppauge 2250) on the server PC is feed from an antenna - Digital OTA (Over the Air). Although not relevant to this issue, I also use Moving Pictures to manage and play DVD files from two 1T hard drives on the server PC as well as shortcuts to Hulu Desktop and Netflix for other media sources.

I am trying to better understand things but am confused about DVB-EPG (Digital Video Broadcast - Electronic Program Guide). I need to figure this out because I ended up turning DVB-EPG off to minimize a troublesome tuner problem - My concern is that I am missing out on functionality if I were to get DVB-EPG working right

Here is what happened - After a fair amount of trial and error, I was able to successfully set up WebEPG to populate the MP TV Guide (although I have not figured out the best way to automate it yet). Apparently while trying to get any EPG option working, I enabled DVB-EPG. Later on, when trying to troubleshoot a problem where I was getting the frequent error message ""Error starting stream - Failed to tune channel" I disabled DVB-EPG. As a result, this error message occurred much less (but still occurs occasionally - not sure why). In looking at the error logs, it appeared that the DVB-EPG polling was tying up my tuners making them unavailable when I wanting to watch Live TV and occasionally when FTR wanted to record a scheduled program.

So with all that said, I need to know whether DVB-EPG applies in any way to getting program information that would be useful when using OTA in the US?

Does anyone have any ideas on the previously noted error message?

Thank you in advance.

Mashenden

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom