OTA from the Fringe (1 Viewer)

neognat

Portal Member
August 22, 2006
I'm definitely on the fringe for off-the-air reception of digital channels from the nearest city. We have DirecTV, but they don't provide the high-definition digital channels, and probably won't do so very soon because it's a small market. The city is about 70 miles to the north. How fringe are we? Well, we have to drive 78 miles to get to the nearest Interstate Highway.

So I've been thinking about putting up an antenna. I've been trying to find information on the web. One site, antennaweb.org, indicates I'm in range for analog reception if I use the best (blue coded) antenna. I'm about 58 miles away from the transmitters of six stations. They don't show that I could receive any digital signals.

So I'm looking for some advice. The only way I can think of to find out if I can receive digital broadcasts is to put up an antanna and see what happens. I've asked around, but I seem to be the only one around here who is crazy enough to think of such a thing.

If there is anyone out there who has dealt with long-distance reception issues, I would very much like to hear from you. I can provide more details to anyone willing to help.

Thanks.

wishywashy

Portal Pro
January 31, 2005
Hill AFB, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am about 35 miles from my transmitters and have really good results from a (really) cheap indoor antenna. I even get stations that antenna web didn't list.

Some factors that worried me at first were: there is an airport radar between me and the transmitters. I also live on an Air Force base with it's own radar and signal interference.

Might be worth a go.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    So I'm looking for some advice.

My advice is that before you go to all the expense of an antenna for digital reception - get a professional TV Antenna installer to measure the signal level at your location - he should have a "fancy black box" that will tell you both the signal level and the signal quality for each channel.

He may have to put up a simple antenna temporarily, but that would be a good guide as to the liklyhood of getting a good interference-free signal. Notice the emphasis on interference-free. Interference can be a real pest, as it can cause the picture to freeze intermittently...:(

neognat

Portal Member
    August 22, 2006
    I can look into a professional installer, if there are any in this area. Most folks in this town use cable or satellite. I have considered trying to find an inexpensive antenna on eBay to see if I can get any promising results.

We do live at the top of a hill with a clear path in the direction of the transmitters. I'm thinking of mounting an outside antenna to a pole from the roof.

I'm wondering about whether there are electronic devices, such as signal amplifier that might help with this project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom