SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    HI all!

I have a Samsung 40" plasma TV which accepts HDMI at 720p and 1080i. I have Win 7, an nVidia 8600GT with latest driver 250~

I like the 720p quality more than 1080i...but there is an issue of overscan that lops off all 4 edges of the screen. 1080i doesnt have overscan.

The Nvidia extra config (cant remember the name of it) allows u to use slidebars to fix the overscan to fix the screen..but it doesnt allow 1:1 pixel mapping so i end up with less than 1280x720

Any idea if its a driver related issue or a TV issue ? Something i can do to make 720p fit properly 1:1 pixels ?

Thanks in advance !

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Go into your Samsung picture menu and pick "Just Scan" instead of 16:9. This fits the 720p exactly to the screen.

It's a driver Issue and doesn't affect ATI on the same TV, Nvidia don't seem to be trying to correct it despite numberous complaints.

David

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    The bad news is the "just scan" is only remembered until you reboot the HTPC, it does work fine if you put the HTPC to sleep though.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    right...and if i ever have the resolution changed (i sometime play betrayal at krondor and old dos game in DosBox which forces 320x200 or whatever low dos res it uses)....and then change it back to 720p..then the TV goes back to 19:6 mode with overscan..so i need to change that setting again on the TV back to "just scan"

no biggie..now i know how to fix it..

on another note..perhaps i should force 720p in betrayal at krondor..lol..maybe not

Dusty_nz

October 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Has this progressed?
    I have a Nvidia media box and Samsung TV running at 1080p (Actually 1824 x 1026). On 1080p Just Scan works but resets/re-syncs in the middle of a movie.
    The resize option reduces the resolution (to 1824 x 1026) which then causes issues when the TV is turned off then back on as most of the time media center does not re-draw back to pull screen. Eg When the TV is off the video driver reduces to a 1680 resolution.
    Options
    1: Get Just Scan to persist permanently. Don't know how??
    2: Get Overscan working at 1080p.
    3: Get MediaPortal to redraw/resize when the TV comes back on.

Any help on this would be great. Thanks

Dusty_nz

October 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Woohoo.
    Might have made progress.
    I initially brought the TV as a Ex Demo. Turned out it was still in Store Mode (Resets all settings every 30 seconds)
    Combination of vol button and Menu for 10 seconds reset it to std mode.

Now I should be able to run 1080p mode without reducing the resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom