Pandora Internet Radio Plugin Vote (1 Viewer)

Should Mediaportal feature a true Pandora plugin?

• Total voters

ErikLarsson

Portal Pro
May 9, 2006
Hi,

Short introduction to Pandora
Can you help me discover more music that I'll like?

Those questions often evolved into great conversations. Each friend told us their favorite artists and songs, explored the music we suggested, gave us feedback, and we in turn made new suggestions. Everybody started joking that we were now their personal DJs.

We created Pandora so that we can have that same kind of conversation with you.
In short, it's a music analyser/radio channel generator. You enter an artist you like, and it will generate a radio station based on advanced analyses of the music style. If a track that you dislike comes along, you can select "i dont like this song for this station" and it will skip to the next track, and also have a more specified selection for you. You can also select that you like the song or that you are tired of it.

This is the feedback i've gotten from the Pandora crew
We do have an API for Pandora that we licensed to slimdevices for the
squeezebox implementation. We're definitely interested in expanding to a
wider variety of media devices, but it can be tricky from a licensing
standpoint, due to our ad based model that keeps the service free. Stay
tuned for developments!

Best,

Vic @ Pandora

This vote is to show interest to the Mediaportal creators, so they can come to an agreement with Pandora, and share APIs for a true "in Mediaportal" style plugin. Things like "Create Pandora with this artist" can be available from MyMusic for instance.

Why ads?
Pandora has choosen to finance this service and make it free for the users, based on showing ads instead. Of course we want this service to be free in Mediaportal, and therefore the ad should me shown aswell.

Note that you can already run Pandora from MP, by running a browser, but then you require keyboard and mouse, and you get a interface not optimal for TV (small and flash based).

Check out Pandora itself at http://www.pandora.com

Come on people show your interest.

5 min photshop hack to show how it could look:
mediaportal-pandora.jpg

/Erik Larsson

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I wouldn't mind the ads. Pandora is a realy fantastic way to discover new music. The way music is selected is realy intelligent.
I listen to Pandora and KCRWmusic all day at work.

KCRWmusic is a great radiostation by the way! (had to promote it :p)

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Pandora might not be so easy as it is a flash program.

Last.fm shouldn't be too bad though as it supports WinAmp, which is MP3 streaming like MediaPortals Internet Radio uses now.

captainspanky

Portal Pro
December 8, 2005
Having used both, I think Pandora pwns Last.fm when it comes to music selection 'smarts'. last.fm is all over the place. You put in a category name and end up with all sorts of tunes that have no bearing whatsoever on the genre you just chose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom