Pandora (personal webradio DJ) plugin? (1 Viewer)

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
I use www.pandora.com a lot. It is essentially a parametric search for music cathegory, meaning that you enter your favourite music/bands, and it will stream music of similar character just like a webradio.

The amazing part is that they actually had a bunch of educated music people analyze all this music and sett various parameters for each:

"The Music Genome Project

On January 6, 2000 a group of musicians and music-loving technologists came together with the idea of creating the most comprehensive analysis of music ever.

Together we set out to capture the essence of music at the most fundamental level. We ended up assembling literally hundreds of musical attributes or "genes" into a very large Music Genome. ...

Over the past 5 years, we've carefully listened to the songs of over 10,000 different artists - ranging from popular to obscure - and analyzed the musical qualities of each song one attribute at a time. This work continues each and every day as we endeavor to include all the great new stuff coming out of studios, clubs and garages around the world.
..."

I notice that they now can act as a plugin for the hardware squeezebox mp3 player. Having some sort of plugin in MP would be great. I dont know if it should be done as a simple My radio hookup to their transport stream, or if it should be a nice GUI with controls for selecting "stations", rating songs, skipping etc so that the concept can be utilized fully.

Your thoughts?

regards
Knut

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
May 13, 2005
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
You can use the mp webbrowser to use pandora.
Here's how:

You need the following:

firefox browser installed on your system
macromedia flash player installed.

Now go to your firefox instal dir ussually:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\

Now copy the contens to the mozilla plugin, plugin directory.

usually found in:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla ActiveX Control v1.7.12\plugins\

Now start mediaportal and use the webbrowser plugin to go to www.pandora.com and enjoy!

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
May 13, 2005
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
It's not a bug it's a feature :wink: :

If you set pandora as homepage in the webbrowser. Pandora starts playing music when Mp starts.
Basicly this is a bug because the homepage shouldn't be loaded when your not in the webbrowser, but I'm happy with this behaviour. Just start my HTPC switch on the amp and I can enjoy the music I like.

ErikLarsson

Portal Pro
May 9, 2006
Bump

Just wanted to bump this thread, as i really would like to see this as a plugin for MP.

I really want to keep my MP keyboard/mouse free, and only use the remote. Also, the interface which you control Pandora would look really sweet in MP with albumcovers passing by :)

Anyone doing any work on this and need help or feedback?

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
A dediacated plugin would be realy....realy cool.
Pandora is fantastic. But I don't use it on my HTPC because I can't control the flash part of the pandora website with my remote control.

ErikLarsson

Portal Pro
May 9, 2006
I emailed Pandora about an API compatible with Mediaportal:

We do have an API for Pandora that we licensed to slimdevices for the squeezebox implementation. We're definitely interested in expanding to a wider variety of media devices, but it can be tricky from a licensing standpoint, due to our ad based model that keeps the service free. Stay tuned for developments!

Best,

Vic @ Pandora

Wouldn't it be possible for the heads of Mediaportal come to an agreement with Pandora so that ads could be displayed in a true Mediaportal plugin?

Well, it would surely be awesome, you could even have a option from MyMusic when you are browing artist, something like "Create new Pandora station with this artist", to avoid the typing with your remote. :)

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    That would be awsome :D

I use pandora every day at work, and just love the functionality

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom