[patch] Choose the screen in which MP will start (fullscreen or window) (1 Viewer)

Prof_Chaos

July 18, 2007
Hello,

as he asked on IRC, i cheked and tried piba's patch.

This patch add the possibility to choose which screen MP will use at startup to display itself. The patch worked well on my computer (vista 32bits) with one graphic card (ati x1950pro) and two flat screens.

So I decided to add this choice in the configuration tool. I also changed the name and the section of the variable in mediaportal.xml.

I you can try the complete patch in attachement, it would be great.

Thx
++

PS: the attached file contains the patch file and all the full modified source files. Patch has been made from svn #15241

Edit #1: the previous archive contained an error, I updated it, sorry
Edit #2: Correct a small bug in the screens detection in the configuration tool

Prof_Chaos

July 18, 2007
Correct a small bug in the screens detection in the configuration tool

I'm using this patch for all the day long without any problem, can someone please test this patch ?

thx a lot.

piba

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    <EDIT>
    I'm not keeping the patch on sourceforge up to date.. please use the one posted on post #6. two down..

[patch] Choose the screen in which MP will start (fullscreen or window)
    </EDIT>
    People please report if the newest patch on sourceforge works for you !
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1750856&group_id=107397&atid=647927

It needs more testing by a larger userbase before it will be incorperated in the SVN version.

If you cant complile the sources and would like test it please dont hesitate to ask for my personal latest snapshot binaries.

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Now to have Mp in secondary display I'm using a script to fake Xp (or MP?) to think
    the screen is primary and to switch it to secondary after Mp is started...
    It works almost... but sometimes strange things happens I press pause and the screen returns on the first display in a small part of it too :D

But it is more simple to show that explain:

I think your solution is more elegant so I want to try it but I can't compile MP you can attach the compiled version here?

I'm using Windows XP not Vista I hope this doesn't change the behavior :mad:

fanoI

piba

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Download the patch, source and installer here

I am not sure what files would need updating so i created a complete installer package. It installs MP 0.2.3.0 RC1 including changes till SVN15272 and the patch.

Unpack the RAR files install MP and configure in "MediaPortal Setup" on the "general" settings on witch screen you want to display MP.

For all people testing this patch please report if it works for you and what kind of videocard your PC has. ATI / NVidia ? witch model ?

till now i know it works for the following cards (not maintaining this list anymore..):
    NVidia GeForce 6150
    GeForce 6600 GT
    NVIDIA 7300 Series Card
    GeForce 7800GT WinXP
    Galaxy GeForce 8600GT
    laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon X700 PCIe 128MB VRAM
    radeon X850 (with XP-MCE)
    radeon x1600
    ati x1950pro (with Vista)

p.s.
    If the config option doesnt give you the option to use the second screen try to add
    the folowing line under the <section name="general"> section:

<entry name="screennumber">1</entry>

<EDIT 2007-07-23>
    Now there also is the option of using parameters to set the screen and skin you want to use.

Create a shortcut with something similar to the following :
    "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe" /fullscreen /screen=1 /skin="BlueTwo wide"

p.s. screen=0 means you normal primary monitor ..
    please also answer the questions in my post of "2007-07-21, 23:34"
    </EDIT 2007-07-23>
    <EDIT 2007-07-26>
    I have uploaded the newest version i currently have.. installer / patch / source files.
    </EDIT 2007-07-26>
    <EDIT 2007-07-30>
    Its (partialy) in current SVN !
    </EDIT 2007-07-30>
    <EDIT 2007-09-03>
    attached files removed
    SVN version contains everything now including config option to configure the screen
    </EDIT 2007-09-03>

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Now it works as I always expected... it seems -but I'm unsure of that - there is
    a little bug... the gui seems moving a litte upward after I have regulated it... the first time I thought to have not calibrate well the display and I ri-calibrated... after
    some time a black bar ri-appear in the low part of the screen...
    Now it is OK... I see if it happens again and in what situation :p

I hope this patch will be integrated in the official svn branch.

fanoI

piba

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    fanoI So it works for you right? That really makes me happy because i was told it wouldn't work for NVidia cards.

@ everyone
    To get this patch in the SVN version: if it works for you post a message here so i can tell the MPdevelopers it has been tested successfully by a a lot of people.
    If it doesn't work and please also post what exactly isn't working so i can fix it. Or if you can develop your welcome to write and post adjustments i could use to improve the patch.

Then a few more questions i would like people to check and report in this thread.
    - What graphics card do you use? ATI / NVidia witch model ?

- Is configuring on witch screen you want to display MP working as expected, two options to chose from ? with correct resolutions and adapternames displayed ?

- CPU usage should not jump to 100% ? (it shouldn't but i my situation when not using the patched version when i dragged the MP window to the second screen my cpu got very busy.. because graphics acceleration wasn't configured to use that screen. Now dragging MP to other window is not needed anymore so no cpu usage problem either..)

If you would like to talk to me on IRC thats also possible thou im not online verry often. But if you send me a email with a time in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) ill try to get online that same time.. b.t.w. im in the +2 time zone..(+1+1 actually the second +1 is for summer time in the Netherlands)

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    @FanoI So it works for you right? That really makes me happy because i was told it wouldn't work for NVidia cards.

Yes it works on NVidia cards, almost on mine it did :D

@ everyone
    To get this patch in the SVN version: if it works for you post a message here so i can tell the MPdevelopers it has been tested successfully by a a lot of people.
    If it doesn't work and please also post what exactly isn't working so i can fix it. Or if you can develop your welcome to write and post adjustments i could use to improve the patch.

Yes all the people that want to use MP on a secondary display must test this
    patch I think it is the more elegant solution (no scripts, no cracked executables...)

Then a few more questions i would like people to check and report in this thread.
    - What graphics card do you use? ATI / NVidia witch model ?

- Is configuring on witch screen you want to display MP working as expected, two options to chose from ? with correct resolutions and adapternames displayed ?

- CPU usage should not jump to 100% ? (it shouldn't but i my situation when not using the patched version when i dragged the MP window to the second screen my cpu got very busy.. because graphics acceleration wasn't configured to use that screen. Now dragging MP to other window is not needed anymore so no cpu usage problem either..)

- NVidia 6150
    - Two options to choose 1) with monitor resolution e 2) With TV res (1024*576)
    - CPU usage: 10%... that is graphic accelerated

fanoI

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom