PC immediately resumes from standby (1 Viewer)

Uncle Woja

Portal Member
October 12, 2006
Home Country
I have a problem with my HTPC. Every time it enters Standby, it immediately resumes.

I'm just running 0.2.3.0 with the Microsoft MCE remote and ehome driver. I've tried MCE standby tool but that did nothing to help the problem.

I've tried everything I can think of but perhaps someone else has an idea?

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    If you have a mouse connected try to disconnect to see if that helps.

Regards
    Roy

Uncle Woja

Portal Member
    October 12, 2006
    Home Country
    I have no mouse or keyboard connected. Only other USB device connected to the pc is the wireless adaptor.

Only other thing I can think of is the placement of the receiver. It's right underneath the plasma. Could the IR interference from the plasma be giving the wake up signal to the pc?

Edit: Moving the receiver didn't help.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Usually it is something kicking it out of standby(like mouse keyboard receivers), you can in Computer Management & sort it after connection check if something on a USB port are allowed(not MCE receiver if you use it to wake up) to wake computer & then disable that option(it's a own tab(powermanagement) in properties on each device which has it.
    The MST(Standby tool) also has a list over devices which can wake up comp & can be disabled, & yes interference can be a cause..

Regards
    Roy

Uncle Woja

Portal Member
    October 12, 2006
    Home Country
    The only device that MST lists as being able to wake up from standby in the onboard LAN.

However, I'm pretty sure that's not the problem as the wake up function is disabled, the connection is disabled and there is no cable plugged in.

I'll try moving it from interference again. Aside from that, this has got me stumped. This also happened with MCE replacement plugin.

Well, I think I can rule out IR interference. I moved the receiver into a separate room and closed the door.

Same problem.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Hmm, check in device manager(or what it is called in non Norwegian comps), you can on all devices right click & select properties, those that have powermanagement capabillities will show there(usually usb devices) & the just deselect usb ports to check which causes issues(have attach a picture, it's from Norwegian XP, but you get the idea).

Regards
    Roy

Attachments

• powermanagement.jpg
      powermanagement.jpg
      38.4 KB

Uncle Woja

Portal Member
    October 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Well, it seems to be the Windows MCE remote that's the cause of all the problems.

I've removed the receiver from any IR interference - No Change
    I've used MST - No Change
    I've re-installed drivers - No Change
    I've disabled everything in the BIOS that is not used and I've disabled anything in the BIOS that can wake up the computer from sleep - No Change

The only time S3 standby works properly is when the MCE remote receiver is unplugged.

I know many many people use this remote without any worries and I would like to as well.. But to me, at the moment, it's just another piece Microsoft garbage.

I'm all ears if someone can find me a solution. Thankyou for the suggestions so far.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    The one that shouldn't be disabled & should be able it's the cause for no reason, that sucks.
    Ok, do you have +5v on the remote usb port?

Regards
    Roy

Uncle Woja

Portal Member
    October 12, 2006
    Home Country
    I've put the problem on the back burner for the time being.

I'll be getting a new m/b in the next week or so for better, and quieter, HD decoding. Until then, I see no point in trouble shooting the problem when it may be the m/b and not the MCE remote.

I will update this thread on the success or failure of the m/b upgrade in relation to this problem.

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,
    The one that shouldn't be disabled & should be able it's the cause for no reason, that sucks.
    Ok, do you have +5v on the remote usb port?

Regards
    Roy

Ive got this exact same problem, so if you come across anything I'd love to hear. Going to have a play around with mine this weekend so will let you know

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom