PC Power button on puts MediaPortal in Away Mode (1 Viewer)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Pressing PC OFF on my generic Microsoft MCE remote clone used to turn off my HTPC, but since some time back, it forces it into Away Mode, breaking sound playback, so when this happens, I have to use the Reboot option to not have MediaPortal crashing. :/

Also, I don't have a screensaver option enabled in Windows, yet MediaPortal keeps putting the HTPC in Away Mode if I leave it on for 10 minutes (?) or something. If I exit MediaPortal and just have the computer on, this doesn't happen, and if I push the PC OFF button, Windows shuts down (as intended and selected in the Power schedule).

Where can I find this and turn it off in MediaPortal settings, please?
    Emph

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    From the Home screen--->>>>> Settings/General/Gui/Screensaver, maybe. See screenshot attached.
    scr.jpg

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Pressing PC OFF on my generic Microsoft MCE remote clone used to turn off my HTPC, but since some time back, it forces it into Away Mode
    The POWER button on the remote is intended to put the HTPC into a low-power state where it can perform TV recordings if any have been scheduled. For this to be possible, "Away Mode" must be enabled.

Confusingly, Windows refers to the POWER button on the remote as the SLEEP button. So, in the Windows power plan, the setting that you want to change is the setting for the SLEEP button:

(1) If you set the SLEEP button to "sleep", when you press the button, the HTPC will transition to away mode if recordings are active, and then transition to sleep state when the recordings finish. In this state, the HTPC can wake to perform unattended recordings.

(2) If you set the SLEEP button to "hibernate", when you press the button, the HTPC will immediately stop any active recordings, and transition to hibernate state. In this state, the HTPC can wake to perform unattended recordings.

(3) If you set the SLEEP button to "power off", when you press the button, the HTPC will immediately stop any active recordings, and transition to power-off state. In this state, the HTPC cannot wake to perform unattended recordings.

The purpose of away mode is to allow recordings to continue to completion when you "power off" the system. The video output is switched off, and (possibly) the USB sockets are powered down, but the fans continue to spin, the disks continue to spin, and the CPU operates at full power (as necessary). When the recording finishes, the fans are powered off, the disks are powered down, and the CPU enters a low-power state. If you really don't want away mode enabled (e.g. because you don't have any TV tuners in your HTPC), you can disable away mode in the Windows power plan.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    The only thing I would add to the detailed explanation above is that I have noticed that Windows update will quite often alter my Power Plan settings to whatever it thinks best at the time! I have had to return these settings to my own preferences at least 3 or 4 times over the last 12 months - and I have absolutely no idea why this happens. This might be why you have noticed this problem "some time back".

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I'd also carefully check the settings in MP's Power Scheduler plugin (if you have it enabled) - both the Client and TV Server plugins (if you have TV Server installed).

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'd also carefully check the settings in MP's Power Scheduler plugin (if you have it enabled) - both the Client and TV Server plugins (if you have TV Server installed).

Wow, I should have thought of that (TV Server Power Scheduler plugin). The only place I haven't checked yet.

To clarify, it's ONLY MediaPortal that insists on using the Away Mode. I have tried to disable it in RegEdit even, and have checked the Power Plan in Windows 7 over and over. Thanks, guys.

EDIT: That was it! So happy right now!

Emph

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom