[OTHER] PCI Card needed (1 Viewer)

Eudelfeudel

Portal Member
June 7, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

i need a new PCI (not express!) graphiccard. It has to be passive, be able to run MP and play TV from the TV server (not HD!). And, of course, has to deliver a very good picture via at least s-video or component video. It would be nice if it is a low profile card, too.

I just made a real bad experience with ATI, so i am not apealed by the thought of bying a new ati ... i have an old radeon 9250 and i am not able to get the picture to the tv the way i want. As soon as i reboot the configuration gets reseted and i have to plug in a normal monitor again, no matter if i clone, use tv as main or second monitor, etc. The s-video out is not working at all, i have to use dvi->vga->svideo adapters and the picture is very blurry. Soooo either these problems have to be gone by now or i don't want ATI anymore ;) Doesn't has to be nvidia though, just needs to meet the requirements.

Eudelfeudel

Portal Member
June 7, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
It is a very small board in a tiny case assembled with alot heatpipes ... it would be alot of work to replace it, and it only has 1 PCI slot accessible via a risercard left.

Are there any other solutions to get the picture to a tv? Do USB -> svideo/component converters deliver good quality? Are there any good and reasonable prices vga->svideo/component converters? Just an adapter does not work.

wowski

Portal Member
September 14, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
I run with a EVGA 8400GS 521mb PCI version, and so far OK. Not tried it on HD output yet (still have a SD TV) so can't advise on if there are issues with the higher resolutions. Am able to get 50fps using VMR and PowerDVD codecs. Works fine with Mediaportal (running under XP, 2g ram, 3GHz pentium machine). You'll find if new they are twice the price of anything PCI-E, and check you power supply is adequate if you go down that route. As others have advised, when you start to add up the costs, it starts to make sense to look at a new mobo. I'd give up on the 9250, I had one previously. Although I could get it to work reasonably with mediaportal, I had to overclock it to get any reasonable output. Even then it was a bit flaky and random things wouldn't work properly(e.g. DVDs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom