Perfect PAL resolution with NVidia (1 Viewer)

MungoBBQ

Portal Member
January 21, 2005
Frodo helped me with this one, but here's how to do it:

1. Use NVidia drivers 61.12 (can be downloaded here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=788 and not later ones, since those won't work with custom resolution.

2. Set custom resolution to 768 x 576 pixels, 50 Hz.

3. Restart.

A

Anonymous

you could also download powerstrip, it also has the ability to make custom resolutions :)

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You can do custom resolutions with the later drivers and FYI the ITU framesize for PAL is 720x576.

DMAN

MungoBBQ

Portal Member
    January 21, 2005
    You can do custom resolutions with later drivers, but they will not always work with TV out. I've tried it and had to revert to older drivers.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Always worked for me - even the latest 67.66 Beta drivers.

FYI - If using a PAL 4:3 TV then the Pixel Aspect under Settings should be 1.0666
    If using a 16:9 Widescreen TV then Pixel Aspect should be 1.4222.

DMAN

MungoBBQ

Portal Member
    January 21, 2005
    For some reason when I applied the custom resolution with the latest drivers, the whole picture wouldn't display on my TV - I got a scroll when I moved the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen. Frodo told me to use 61.12 and I did, and since then it works like a charm.

Also, I had so many problems with setting the pixel aspect to anything else than 1.0 for my WS TV - mainly that the quality of the image was much worse. I decided to leave my settings at 1.0 and instead use the "stretch" setting of the video player when needed.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MungoBBQ said:
    For some reason when I applied the custom resolution with the latest drivers, the whole picture wouldn't display on my TV - I got a scroll when I moved the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen. Frodo told me to use 61.12 and I did, and since then it works like a charm.

Also, I had so many problems with setting the pixel aspect to anything else than 1.0 for my WS TV - mainly that the quality of the image was much worse. I decided to leave my settings at 1.0 and instead use the "stretch" setting of the video player when needed.

Yeah I know what you mean - Nvidia still have not fixed it in the latest Beta as well.

Maybe if you set the custom resolution to 720x576 then using Pixel Aspect won't look bad. It's brilliant on my rig.
    Just FYI - with some TV's the drivers cannot determine if it's composite or s-video you're better off telling the driver which one you use if you currently don't.

Either way - each to their own if it works now and you like it then great.

DMAN

lugiber

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2004
    Sweden
    The scroll you describe appears when you use progressive scan with a tv that doesn't support it. If you set the drivers to "interlace" the picture should be allright.
    The thing is that everytime you reboot the computer you will have to open the driver settings and switch from progressive to interlace mode again. I haven't found a way to make this setting permanent.

/Peter

Rybber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2004
    Denmark
    I'm using an ATI card (Asus 9200SE)

Will I benefit from Powerstrip rescaling my TV out (for a normal PAL TV) to 720x576 @ 50Hz instead of outputting 800x600 as I do now?

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Where in the nVidia Drivers do you switch from Interlaced to Progressive and vice versa?

Dumb again... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom