Philips MCE remote issues bb+ dongle ed (1 Viewer)

danzx2

Portal Pro
May 25, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Running MP on XP SP3 and got a Philips MCE remote and receiver from eBay.

XP detected the receiver as 'bb+ dongle ed' but finds no drivers. I've tried loads suggested and I can get it to show as a Microsoft MCE remote but the remote does not function. LED flashes on receiver OK.

Any tips or what is the recommended remote for MP and XP SP3?

Thanks

Dan

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Dan

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about remotes, but have you tried enabling the MC remote in MediaPortal configuration under "Remotes"?

danzx2

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply. I have tried loads of things to try and get it working.

Replacement MCE drivers.
    Standard eHome drivers.

I think i'm going to give up on getting a remote to work and just get a wireless keyboard like a KeySonic as they are XP compatible. Have you/anyone used these and do they work as they should ie plug and play and work well with MP?

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Dan,

Trying different drivers is all good, but it will have no effect if you don't actually enable the remote in MP. The reason that you have to enable it is because MP supports a variety of different remotes, including MC-compatible and non-MC-compatible models. They can conflict unless configured correctly.

Have you found the dedicated MC remote info in our wiki? It really should not be hard to get working...

MCE Remote - MediaPortal Wiki - general
    MCE Remote - MediaPortal Wiki - configuration

I think i'm going to give up on getting a remote to work and just get a wireless keyboard like a KeySonic as they are XP compatible. Have you/anyone used these and do they work as they should ie plug and play and work well with MP?
    I used to have a remote that functioned as an HID keyboard. I used it in combination with EventGhost to control different applications with the same buttons based on the focussed application. Nothing is going to be *completely* plug and play. The keyboard may give you more flexibility, but it also might require more configuration...

danzx2

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks again. I have the Philips remote as pictured (RC1974506/00) but its the RC1974506/01 one.

I've enabled it in MP too but nothing happens.

I've used loads of different IR software, Ghost, Intelliremote, IR server none of them have even detected a key press.

I even bought another remote/IR receiver which was found as a eHome infared transceiver and I got to use the eHome driver but still this does nothing.

Both ir receivers flash when button pressed but they dont do anything on the PC.

With regards to the keysonic, even if it installs with no issues then at least i can control MP from my sofa.

Thanks again

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I even bought another remote/IR receiver which was found as a eHome infared transceiver and I got to use the eHome driver but still this does nothing.

Both ir receivers flash when button pressed but they dont do anything on the PC.

A quick Google and forum search reveals some pages/threads with similar findings. One of them said that the remote was designed for XP MC 2005/Vista and it wouldn't work with XP. Others said that XP Home was missing a required component - they pointed to this Microsoft update. It'd be interesting to know if that would install on a regular XP Home install. The other package I found was this...

Needless to say, I think I was wrong to expect that remote to just work in your OS environment... :sorry:

With regards to the keysonic, even if it installs with no issues then at least i can control MP from my sofa.
    Whatever you do, make sure you get something that is specifically XP home compatible - it seems that is not exactly a common "capability" these days...

mm
    :)

danzx2

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks again for replying.

I have used the files in the Windows update but still nothing. I have even been to the same link you posted. I must have spent at least 6 solid hours trying to get it to work.

Good idea on the specific XP Home compatible. I'll check before I buy anything else.

Thanks

Dan

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    This is the original post on how to get ehome drivers installed correctly for this remote

image02.jpg

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/remotes-116/how-mce-remote-keyboard-xp-home-4589/

If you have the square shaped philips MCE remote, they are known for only working with Vista\Win7 machines.

Wanna swop for one of mine heh heh :D

MungoDragons

Portal Member
    June 7, 2011
    Home Country
    I am interested to know exactly where the remote should show up in Device Manager (when using XP SP3). I recently purchased one of these bad boys after seeing reference to it on the MP forums:
    Microsoft MCE Remote Control USB IR Receiver Win7 Vista (eBay item 220734659912 end time 04-Jul-11 19:49:55 AEST) : Electronics

but am struggling to get it working 100%.

The plug-n-play approach brings it up also as BB+ Dongle(e.d) and will not locate a driver but I followed some instructions I stumbled across to update the driver and change the hardware type to universal serial bus controller. So it now shows under there in device manager and is listed as an ehome Infrared Receiver with two driver files shown: irbus.sys and swmsflt.sys

My problem is that every button press on the remote registers on the computer (XP Pro SP3) as the key being held down.

Would be very grateful for any thoughts on that problem.

Cheers,
    MD

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi MD

Should show up under USB controllers as "Ehome infrared receiver (USBCIR)" details are as below, but remember I'm not on XP, but my old XP pro was the same driver, as you can see it's been around a while.

sshot-3.jpgsshot-5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom