Play DTS (1 Viewer)

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi,

I've found this plugin searching a way to play dts files within MP.

I have to say it's been quite hard to play DTS sound on my system. Some of my specs: XP SP2 with Analog Devices SoundMAX integrated soundcard, connected to an AV Receiver (Harman Kardon AVR-130) using SPDIF.

The only way I've found to listen DTS-CDs using my PC is:

- Extract tracks to wav files using CDex.
    - "Parse" this wav files using DTSParser.exe. I get .dts files.
    - Install DTSAC3Source DirectShow Filter.
    - Configure ffdshow Audio Codec to send .dts sound to S/PDIF output.
    - Play final .dts files using any dshow compatible player (Zoom Player in my case).

It's been hard to me to find this combination... :)

Now I want to use MP to play this files... If I choose Internal dshow player I've got no problem, but I would like to use visualizations... My options are BASS Player or ASIO Plugin Player (using ASIO4ALL), but I've got the same problem in any of them:

- If I try to play .dts files, I get this error in the log:

Code:
    2008-03-02 19:26:49.343750 [ERROR][17]: PureAudio: Cannot create stream from J:\Musica\DTS\Mike Oldfield Hergest Ridge [Sonido DTS]\Track02.wav.fixed.dts: BASS_ERROR_FILEFORM.

- If I try to play original .wav extracted file, my receiver doesn't recognize stream as DTS, and I get just weird sound.

Than you very much for helping in any way.

stanik

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    I have exactly same problem. My onboard audio is SoundMax Analog Devices

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This plugin can only handle the wav's as directly extracted from CD. (DTS CD's do not contain raw DTS but DTS specially prepared for S/PDIF transport.)
    The dtsparser program probably converts them to back to raw DTS, which i currently cannot handle. That explains the error in the log.

Just to make sure the extracted wav's are right, you should find the following in your log when playing them:
    Code:
    : PureAudio: Determined stream content type: DTS14Bit

If that is the case it means that bitperfect playback over ASIO is not working on your audio device. (I assume you use ASIO4ALL drivers.) Unfortunately many audio devices, especially the cheaper ones, suffer from this problem. The only solution is to use a different audio device that does work. In this forum you can find examples of working solutions. Note however that solutions that work for one person, not always work for another, so i cannot promise anything....

roedebaer

Portal Member
    May 29, 2006
    Until today I used Foobar 8.3 Special Edition and the Foo httpserver-component to play music and DTS-files via Media Portal. Unfortunately this version of Foobar did not support kernel streaming nor ASIO.
    Now I tried your ASIO plugin and asio4all. Playback of music works fine, but no more DTS audio (only white noise).

Upgrading to Foobar 9.x (now with ASIO plugin) did not work due to the incompatibility of the Foo httpserver (doesn't work with 9.x) - so no more Foobar playback via Media Portal.

Is there any solution for my problem? I want it all - Playback via ASIO or kernel streaming, playback of my DTS files and using Media Portal as my client.

Can anybody help?

Regards
    Roede

P.S. Just a few more questions:

1. Do I have to do any tweaking within the "music" section of MP setup when using the pureaudio plugin? Does it matter if there is the Bass Player or the directshow Player selected? Or is neither of them used due to playback via the pureaudio plugin?

2. My DTS Files are played properly by Foobar with dts component. Why doesn`t pureaudio plugin seem to be able to play them (i've read that DTS playback works for many other users)? Same here with Windows Media Player. Only distortion when trying to play DTS audio. Do I miss some essential components on my system?

Here are my system's specs:
    WinXP SP3
    Club 3D Theatron Agrippa DTS 7.1 audio card connectet digitally to my Harman Kardon DTS receiver.
    ASIO4ALL v. 2.8 installed
    Media Portal 0.2.3.0 installed with pureaudio 1.4 plugin
    Codecs: Xvid, DivX, ffdshow (ffdshow dts and ac3 filters set to spdif)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom