Playback of programme queries whether to play from live point (1 Viewer)

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
Can anyone else confirm this:

Record a show off a channel, I used ITV1 in the UK
Let that show completely finish recording
Start recording another show on the same channel
Go to recorded TV and select to watch the first show that has finished recording
You are prompted whether to start playback from beginning or live point

So it thinks you are trying to play back the current recording because it's the same channel.

I'll attach logs for this once I'm home.

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Yep, I can confirm this behaviour.

What I still don't understand is why shows that are being recorded are even displayed in the recorded TV screen? I've said it before but I say it again because there's seems to be a lot of small issues around this screen and if only shows that are done recording would end up here I think a lot of the issues would dissapear too. But I'm probably alone who thinks that Recorded TV stand for just "Recorded TV" and not for Recorded TV + show that are currenlty being recorded.
    If however shows that are being recorded really have to be in this screen then mabye a configuration option where you could toggle show currenlty recording shows in recorded tv on/off? Just a thought.

Now back to the topic, I reproduced the error following the steps allanp81 gave and attached my logs.

//johnzered

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    If currently recorded shows weren't here where could they go though? I think it's right to put them in recorded tv as it clearly shows they are still in the process of being recorded. But it's no use if it causes issues with completed recordings.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    What I still don't understand is why shows that are being recorded are even displayed in the recorded TV screen? I've said it before but I say it again because there's seems to be a lot of small issues around this screen and if only shows that are done recording would end up here I think a lot of the issues would dissapear too. But I'm probably alone who thinks that Recorded TV stand for just "Recorded TV" and not for Recorded TV + show that are currenlty being recorded.

I myself find it pretty handy when I can start watching an ongoing recording from the exactly same screen where the already completed recordings are displayed.

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    If currently recorded shows weren't here where could they go though? I think it's right to put them in recorded tv as it clearly shows they are still in the process of being recorded. But it's no use if it causes issues with completed recordings.

As I said I'm probably alone with my thoughts, you can still get access to the recording if you go to the epg and try to watch that channel, then you get the question to start from beginning or live point. And then when it's finished recording it would show up in the recorded tv list.

But your probably right that it might confuse more than what it would benefit the user so let's hope someone finds a fix for this!

//johnzered

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Can anyone else confirm this:

Record a show off a channel, I used ITV1 in the UK
    Let that show completely finish recording
    Start recording another show on the same channel
    Go to recorded TV and select to watch the first show that has finished recording
    You are prompted whether to start playback from beginning or live point

So it thinks you are trying to play back the current recording because it's the same channel.

I'll attach logs for this once I'm home.

Hi,

I just wanted to update and tell that the problem is still here with MediaPortal SVN-Snapshot:-07-25-2008 22-31h - Revision:19778

//johnzered

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Okay so the problem here is if you have an unwatched recording in Recorded TV it doesn't matter when it was recorded (yesterday, a year ago or just a few seconds), what matters is if you currenlty have an ongoing recording on the same channel. Because when you select an unwatched recording it checks if the same channel is currenlty being recorded not if the current show is being recorded like this (notice the if clause):

The code can be found in TVRecorded.cs in TVPlugin source.

Code:
    foreach (Recording recItem in itemlist)
    {
      if (rec.IdRecording == recItem.IdRecording && server.IsRecording(recItem.ReferencedChannel().Name, out card))
      {
        m_bIsLiveRecording = true;
        break;
      }
    }
    I noticed there's already a method called IsRecordingActual which takes a recording as a parameter. This method also performs the server.IsRecording(...) check but it also lookes at times of the actual recording, which at least in my tests made it return true only if that show was actually being recorded. So to get this working a really easy fix would be to change the foreach loop to this (once again notice the if clause):
    Code:
    foreach (Recording recItem in itemlist)
    {
      if (rec.IdRecording == recItem.IdRecording && IsRecordingActual(recItem))
      {
        m_bIsLiveRecording = true;
        break;
      }
    }

// johnzered

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    I've just noticed another problem with this. I recorded top gear on Sunday evening on BBC 2 which has obviously finished recording. I'm just now recording something else on BBC2 and when I go to my recorded tv screen it shows both shows as currently recording which is obviously incorrect. I'm using plain rc2, no svn.

*Edit: I have attached my logs.

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I've also noticed this but very very rarely and only during tests when I have done several simultaneous recordings. In my case it has been because sometimes a recordings EndTime property isn't updated with the correct value when the recording is finished and therefore the logic in IsRecordingActual method thinks it's actually being recorded as it first checks if the timespan of StartTime and EndTime is equal to zero and if it is it checks if that channel is recording and if that is also true then marks it with a red dot. The EndTime property is initally set to the same value as StartTime and when the recording is finished it updates the EndTime with the real value, but somehow this fails sometimes. But I haven't managed to find a way to reproduce it all the time.

Still your initial problem should now be solved and only in rare circumstances it will fail. First I would recommend installing latest svn and if you still have problems maybe you could take a look at this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ncorrect-record-icon-recorded-tv-issue-42995/ and see if you can come up with something together.

//johnzered

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    johm, u r rite.

everytime we stop a recording, we need to update recording.endtime, as u can see this is done in tve3 scheduler.cs

void StopRecord(RecordingDetail recording)
    {
    try
    {
    recording.Recording.EndTime = DateTime.Now;
    recording.Recording.Persist();

<snip>

Somewhere in the code we must stop the recording in some other manner, where this method isn't called.
    And this is probably the bug.

Who wants to study the call tree on that method and others as well ?

/gibman

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom