Playback on client stopping at random (1 Viewer)

henk99

Portal Pro
October 7, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
MediaPortal Version: 1.01.0
MediaPortal Skin: Bluewide
Windows Version: Vista x86
CPU Type: Phenom 9550
HDD: Samsung 1TB
Memory: 4 GB
Motherboard: GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0)
Video Card: onboard ATI 3200
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 8.11
Sound Card: onboard
Sound Card AC3: Optical out
Sound Card Driver: Realtek 2.09
1. TV Card: Floppy-DTV
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
1. TV Card Driver: 4.51
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink v7.3
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Cyberlink v7.3
h.264 Video Codec: MPCVideoDec
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Coolermaster HT-01
Remote: IMON
TV: Panasonic 42PZ8500
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I had to re-install my main pc, which is on 24/7 and also my MP TV server. A clean windows Vista install was done (64-bits) and also the same MP version was installed as was on before I re-installed.
Before this re-install, my MP stuff was working fine for months in a row. This re-install of the OS was unfortunately needed because of virus damage, otherwise I would have never touched it.

Now onto the problem....
When watching recorded TV on my client htpc, on random occasions the playback will either stutter a bit, or completely stop without warning and return to the menu. When it returns to the menu and I restart the playback, it starts from the beginning again.

My firewalls are off, both on the tv server and the client, so the ports shouldn't be blocked. The effect is completely random to me. I can't find anything in the logs either (see attached).

LiveTV on the client is fine, I have not noticed any issues yet. I only have this with recorded TV.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

henk99

Portal Pro
October 7, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all,

Are we really the only people experiencing this problem? I still haven't been able to tackle this problem.

In the meantime i have found that the problem with playback appears to be in recordings from one specific channel. Other channels playback okay. Is that a codec issue? I only have the SAF package installed.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have been seeing a similar problem.

Have you installed an SVN build? If so, what version are you using?

Which codecs do you use for TV? It seems worse with some that others.

Do you have a small recording file that reproduces the problem?

Best wishes,

Mark

henk99

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Mark,

I have not installed an SVN build. The latest version 1.0.1.

I have installed the SAF codec pack on both systems, the TVserver and the client.

Unfortunately, I don't have a small file. All are well above 2-3GB :(

Hi,

I have been seeing a similar problem.

Have you installed an SVN build? If so, what version are you using?

Which codecs do you use for TV? It seems worse with some that others.

Do you have a small recording file that reproduces the problem?

Best wishes,

Mark

metalhead

August 24, 2009
    Home Country
    I think it may be a single channel for me too. In my case Channel 10 in Australia. I have other issues which I have also narrowed down specifically to this channel - The playback for some recordings is very jerky. It doesn't seem to matter what else the computer is doing (nor should it with the specs of the machine), but it is as if the system were running at its limits (which it isn't). I am just using whatever the standard codecs are, is it possible for this to be the cause of an issue with a single channel? This is not even an HD channel, I have other recordings from channels that are standard definition (like this one), high definition, and analogue tv and all of them work perfectly.

EDIT: Also, as reported above, the stopping problem (unlike the jerkiness above) is completely unrepeatable. Start the file again and it will play through fine. It only happens every 5 or 6 recordings for me and doesn't happen again on the same recording (as far as I can tell).

EDIT2: Actually, I think I had it do the stopping thing last night on a recording on ABC2 - which is also a standard definition digital channel. So not just 1 channel, but it could be to do with SD digital channels? I certainly have not had the jerky playback issue with recordings on ABC2 though - but I haven't recorded or watched as much from it either. There is another channel that I have a lot of recordings from that I have not had a single issue with and I can't recall if it is HD or SD, I will check tonight.

dvbkiwi

Portal Pro
    November 2, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Has anyone found a solution to this problem, I have just setup my MP server on brand new hardware and have the same problem, I have discovered the following though.

When playing recordings fullscreen (SD) they stutter and stop.
    When I go back and let them play in the bottom left corner or windowed in the mytv menu there are no problems
    when i play back the recording using windows media player it works fine full screen
    The same problem is observed on windows xp and windows7 clients running on diffirent machines with difirent codecs
    problem happens with both VMR9 and EVR

both tv clients are beefy machines with quad core cpu's and 2gig/4gig ram respectively. high qaulity vga cards
    Server is a Core2 Duo 2.6Ghz with 2Gig of ram and 3x Hauppauge HVR 3000 VGA Tuner cards, EPG grabing is only done on third card.

Problem is observed regardless of which card made the recording or which channel it is on.
    I can record 8 channels sumultaneously and they all play back perfectly with external players but not the mp tv client
    Even if I only record one channel it doesnt play back properly with the mp client.
    live tv works fine even while recording multiple channels

Please let me know what files you would need to help troubleshoot this.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom