Playback stopping after each song (1 Viewer)

appleyk

Portal Member
November 20, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This is a continuation of a problem I posted about in the original poll thread, before the new subforum was created, and that thread closed. Original problem is:

Oh bother, I've found another problem. I play my music directly from the Shares view (Have test, and found the same problem with a playlist). When I select a song in a directory, when that song is finished, it should move onto, and play, the next song in order. However, it seems to hang the display for about a minute or so after finishing the song, then just stops and doesnt play any further. While its hanging, I can hear my remote commands being received by the PC, but nothing happens. After its stopped haging, I can move on and select the next song manually, but it only seems to play 1 song each time before stopping. Hmm, I though it was ok now, because after selecting the 3rd song manually, it went on and played the 4th ok, but then stopped again.

Is this a known problem, or should I post another log with this happening?

I'm attaching a logfile, hopefully it shows the problem and some useful info. THe sequence is, I selected the 1st song in a folder (01) this played to then end, then the interface seemed to freeze for some seconds. When control returned to the interface, the next song was not selected, and playback had stopped. I selected the 2nd song, and it played ok, this time, when the song finished, it continued on to the 3rd song. When the 3rd one finished, the same thing as after the 1st one happened again.

Hope you can shed some light on this, sound quality seems much improved over the Bass engine with lossless input. as mentioned previously, this is using ASIO4ALL, as there seems to be something weird with the direct ASIO drivers on my card.

Cheers

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The freezing is clearly visible in the log. In both cases it took the plugin over 30 seconds to open the file from drive Y:.
    The player stops 2 seconds after the ending of a song when no new one has started at that time.

Other MP processes (audioscrobbler and tv-recording manager) continue to work in the meantime, so it's not your PC or the whole of MP freezing.

Looks like drive Y: is not accessible all the time... what kind of device is it? I would try to copy one album to drive C: and see if it plays correctly from there.

Symphy

appleyk

Portal Member
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks for having a look. Y: is a network drive, on another pc, on a wired 100M network. so your logic sounds good. But, this only ever happens with the pureaudio plugin. That drive has all my music on, and I use it all the time. Never had a problem with the Bass engine, everyime its a problem with pureaudio. But just to make sure, I'll copy that directory to a local drive, and try that.

Well you're absolutely right, when playing from the local drive, no problems at all. But I dont understand why its absolutely reproduceable using pureaudio. I never have the problem with the internal player, but everytime it happens with pureaudio. Is there anything different about the way MP opens files in its own player as opposed to a plugin?

Kevin

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Weird... opening files is done exactly the same way as the built-in BASS engine. I fact, this plugin uses the same BASS components...:confused:

Will have to think about it some more, i'll get back on it.

appleyk

Portal Member
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    This is really wierd then, I just did some more testing, and exactly the same thing, totally reproduceable. Also, whenever I manually select a song, there is no delay, no matter which playback engine, so it seems very odd the network drive would only be causing delays when automatically moving to the next song.

If you can think of any other testing you'd like me to do, I'm more than happy to, would love to get this working :)

Kevin

appleyk

Portal Member
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Just to let you know, I've solved my problem by getting another usb drive and plugging it directly into the MP machine, and moving my music database to there. I still dont understand why it was causing a problem on the network drive, but I understand its a very strange problem, and obviously not one other peope are suffering from, so thats fixed it for me now anyway. So thanks very much for both the awesome plugin, and for helping with that strange problem.

I am seeing something else strange right now, when using the BASS engine, the small 'now playing' window shows the cover art of the song playing, or the default image if I dont have any cover art. But with this plugin, that window is always just showing a blank black image when a song is playing, with cover art, or not, it makes no difference. I dont know if this might just be a skin issue though. I'm using the xface skin if that makes a difference. Its not a major problem, and the much better sound quality more than makes up for it :)

Cheers

Kevin

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just to let you know, I've solved my problem by getting another usb drive and plugging it directly into the MP machine, and moving my music database to there. I still dont understand why it was causing a problem on the network drive, but I understand its a very strange problem, and obviously not one other peope are suffering from, so thats fixed it for me now anyway. So thanks very much for both the awesome plugin, and for helping with that strange problem.
    Is it a USB network or UTP? I've been doing a little test here with playing from a share over UTP, works just fine.

I am seeing something else strange right now, when using the BASS engine, the small 'now playing' window shows the cover art of the song playing, or the default image if I dont have any cover art. But with this plugin, that window is always just showing a blank black image when a song is playing, with cover art, or not, it makes no difference. I dont know if this might just be a skin issue though. I'm using the xface skin if that makes a difference. Its not a major problem, and the much better sound quality more than makes up for it :)
    Hmm, should work. Do you also have that when using bluetwo skin? And is it embedded coverart or "Folder.jpg" images in an album?

appleyk

Portal Member
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sorry, its a UTP network, the new usb drive is just plugged directly into the HTPC, and isnt a network thing. I guess it must just be something strange about my network that doesnt like the plugin, and its all working well from the USB drive, so I'm happy to put it down as a problem with my setup, as no-one else seems to be having the problem.

I just checked the cover art problem, and it works fine on the Bluetwo skin, so it must be something about XFace. And its with cover art downloaded through MP, so I guess thats the folder.jpg method. But as I said, works fine with bluetwo, so not a problem with your plugin.

Thanks a lot for your time and help looking into the problems. I'm delighted with the improvement in sound quality using pureaudio, and would definitely recommend anyone else to use it, you'll be stunned at the difference :)

Cheers

Kevin

macca macca

Portal Member
    August 8, 2007
    I also have a problem with this dely. It hasppens even when I start playing a song as soon as MP opens. It's killing me, i can't use ASIO unless this is fixed. ARGH!~

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I also have a problem with this dely. It hasppens even when I start playing a song as soon as MP opens. It's killing me, i can't use ASIO unless this is fixed. ARGH!~

Can you provide me with (debuglevel) logfiles? I really need those to start with.

Regards,

Symphy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom