Playing DVD that on HDD... (1 Viewer)

LittleNoddy

Portal Member
November 3, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Can I ask that is it possible to play a DVD direct from the HDD since when you want to play a DVD you have to insert the disk..

In addition to this I can see the DVD's that or on my external drive in "my playlist" however there is nothing in the current and nor can I seem to play them any advice welcome many thanks Wayne

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Yes, MP can handle both movie folders extracted from disc (VIDEO_TS folder) and disc imageg (.ISO). ISO files are mounted via daemon tools before playing, so make sure you config it in setup (MP config - make sure it's in the advanced view, General, Daemon Tools).

I have no clue what your second sentence is trying ask. :sorry: "There is nothing in the current" really confuses me. But I would guess you are using the shares view (file list, like Explorer). Check into scanning your movies, and then use the title view. That way you see one list no matter where the movie files are. I think there's a way to deal with external drives or even DVDs ("insert disk number xxx" for example) but don't know for sure.

Milhouse

LittleNoddy

Portal Member
November 3, 2008
Home Country
What I am trying to achieve is this

My DVD collection is to be placed onto a hard drive to which I would like to be able to navigate via DVD cover art prior to playing the DVD

I have the converting to HDD solved, and the playback works fine with Cyberlink Power DVD 5 but with MP it plays but not well very stop start...

Any advise welcome

Many thanks Wayne

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
Have you done a database scan? This will and the coverart from imdb, too.

can you explain this: "with MP it plays but not well very stop start"

I need a little better description of what you are seeing. And what format are your files?

LittleNoddy

Portal Member
November 3, 2008
Home Country
the files are in the same format as in Audio_TS and VOB's this is not the problem but I am sure that the app ran smoother before however the if the DVD side can't not work correctly then it's not fit for it's purpose in this case... however I can not see you chaps releasing a app that does not function correctly...

Does that help Wayne

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
Um, it's a problem that you are having that other people are not. That's why this is a support forum - there is nothing wrong with with MP and playing DVDs. I do it every day, as do hundreds or thousands of others. And it is most certainly not "unfit for purpose". There are an infinite number of hardware and software combinations, and I am working blind here. If you could supply some more detail, your odds of resolving this are better.

You have not even described your problem - how can anyone possibly help? These are NOT problem descriptions:
  • I am sure that the app ran smoother before
  • with MP it plays but not well very stop start
  • I can see the DVD's that or on my external drive in "my playlist" however there is nothing in the current and nor can I seem to play them

MediaPortal Forum - Announcements in Forum : Get Support

I hate to get snippy, but there a lot of people who put a lot of time into building and supporting an excellent open source project. And expecting everything to work perfectly on any computer is unrealistic. There are many people happy to help with support, but 1) give us something to work with, and 2) don't insult the application or the help we try to provide.

LittleNoddy

Portal Member
November 3, 2008
Home Country
Hi

Please ignore this "I can see the DVD's that or on my external drive in "my playlist" however there is nothing in the current and nor can I seem to play them "

I come to that in a later

The DVD plays, however it like a it's being held back when it plays, on both the image and sound, yet if I open powerdvd no issue so it's not a issue with the hardware and may be not the MP software rarther config may that needs to be done, I am not sure if it auto configures...

May be I sur uninstall and reinstall to to see if the problem clears....

What information would you like and I fully understand there are many combinations to consider

Wayne

I am going to retry a new install to see in that cahnges anything

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
There are problems people have experienced with certain hardware and even specific versions of drivers (e.g. Catalyst drivers). Codecs and codec packs are frequently a problem. So at a minimum:

1) video card and driver version
2) cpu specs are also useful. If powerdvd is using harware acceleration, but MP is using ffdshow filters and no harware accelerations, that could explain the difference.
3) MP version - I'd assume RC3 with no SVN if nothing else is supplied
4) codec being used (see the DVD setup tab)
5) a good description of the problem. "It takes 30 seconds before the movie starts, and MP is locked up in the meantime. Once it starts it plays OK." Or, "It starts right away, but the video is very jerky while the audio is smooth." Something like that. There are a lot on non-native English speakers on the MP forum, so sometimes it takes a few posts to understand what the problem even it. But I see your UK flag.

Post your full logs so people can see whatever else is in logs.

I tend to be more helpful around configuration issues than resolving performance issues (I am not much of a hardware guy). But the more information you supply along these lines, the more likely it'll sound like a problem someone else has seen and can help with.

I would not assume that a new install would help - I suspect it's a driver or codec issue, because most things are. I would hold off on a reinstall until you post some specs and see if anyone responds.

one last thing - I suggest changing the title of the post to match the current question. Maybe "stuttering while playing DVD from HD" or something similar to get the right people's attention.

LittleNoddy

Portal Member
November 3, 2008
Home Country
Hi I got a bigger problem now

I which I I'll post in a new thread not my day today I think and yes I get the config info to youas soon as I know, however I uninstalled prior to recieving your post

Arrr

LittleNoddy

Portal Member
November 3, 2008
Home Country
Problem with regards must have been with the install of the Skin, since after a long battle removing the MP ver 3 and reinstalling MP... the DVD plays without any issues...

So you could say that the problem was fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom