Playing .mts files, which codec is being used? (1 Viewer)

Pulzar

Portal Member
April 28, 2008
I have CoreAVC, ffdshow, and Cyberline Power DVD installed -- and each provides a codec for h.264/avchd playback. Playing x.264 files (and just about any other video file) works great, but when I try to play .m2ts/.mts from my video camera, all I get is sound and a black screen. Playing the same file in WMP, or Zoom player, works fine.

Changing the codec in the Media Portal Configurator for h.264 playback doesn't seem to have any impact. I'm not sure which codec Media Portal is using right now to play back avchd files, but I'm guess it's not the same as WMP... how can figure out which codec is being used?

On a similar note, playing back x.264 files (.mkv) was really jerky until I set "preferred codec" option in CoreAVC, and now it plays back great (in both cases, CPU usages was at 20-40%)... Again, my guess is that one of the other codecs was used by Media Portal (even though I selected CoreAVC in Configurator), and that it didn't like it...

Any suggestions, ideas? What can I try to figure out what's going on here? In summary, Media Portal is now playing back every kind of format perfectly for me, except for .mts/.m2ts, while WMP and other players play them back just fine on the same machine.

Thanks!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are you using PowerDVD8 Ultra, with the latest update, you can associate which files use there codecs in config, which will become the windows default.

Regards

riadmelb

Portal Pro
    July 9, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    I use CoreAVC for both x.264 (.mkv movies) and AVCHD (.m2ts from my video camera) files.

CoreAVC doesn't seek my video camera files (.m2ts) well, so I have to remux my video camera files to .ts format and then it will play super smooth. If you are interested I can tell you how to remux them.

In regards to x.264 files (.mkv), I also play them with CoreAVC and they perform very well.

Pulzar

Portal Member
    April 28, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. It seemed like WMP and MP were not using the same codec for some reason, and I couldn't figure out why (or what MP used -- WMP used CoreAVC). Even with PowerDVD being selected as the default for .mts, CoreAVC "took over" in WMP.

So, I figured I'd remove them all and try them one by one... First, I installed ffdshow, included with K-lite. Although that played .mts files, it played them terribly.

Then I re-installed PowerDVD, enabled hardware acceleration, still had to manually disable h.264 in ffdshow, but then Cyberlink codec took over and now both .mkv and .mts/m2ts works great in MP! Now, CPU usage is in high 90s when playing mts files, so that's a lot worse than CoreAVC, but at least it works in MP...

I might just leave it like this and be happy it works :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom