Playing ripped HD videos (1 Viewer)

jsimmons

Portal Pro
December 6, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am waiting for the delivery of both a HD-DVD player (for the XBOX), and a Blu-Ray reader, with the intent to rip movies to (as ISO files) to my HTPC hard drive.

I already have AnyDVD (to rip) and VirtualCloneDrive (to mount the rsulting ISO).

I'm currently using Media Player Classic to actually play videos on the system. Will that application be suficient for playing the ripped hi-def movies, or do I need something different?

EDIT ==========

If I make a MKV file, am I correct in assuming I can just play that in my standard media player (if I have the required codec)?

jsimmons

Portal Pro
December 6, 2008
Home Country
I converted a M2TS file to MKV (with Handbrake) and it played without issue.

It now takes about 8 hours - using three different tools - to rip a Hi-def movie from DVD to MKV file. What a royal pain.

jsimmons

Portal Pro
December 6, 2008
Home Country
I remember ripping 80+ dvd's over a couple of weeks and converting to the then high standard of MP4 with a single core processor, I swore never again, so I know your pain.

SmartLabs - SmartLabs tsMuxeR may be worthwhile a look

I use Clown-BD to go from iso to m2ts, and it uses txmuxer. The only problem is that it doesn't create MKV files. I have to use something else (handbrake) to do that, and it takes 4-5 hours per disk.

1.5 hours to rip to iso (with AnyDVD)

2.5-3 hours to rip from from ISO to M2TS (and no, ripping from the original disk takes as long as the two tools combined).

4-5 hours to convert from M2TS to MKV

I kinda suspect that I can go right from iso to MKV with handbrake, but I haven't figured out how yet...

o0X0o

Portal Pro
August 19, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Did you look at the info and tools in the link I provided?

HDBRstream extractor will strip to mkv in about 60-90mins on my PC including the High-Def audio track. MKVmerge then joins the data together in about 30mins or so.

That's only 2 (easy to use) tools and about 2 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom