Please Don't stop MCE services when running MP+TVPluging (1 Viewer)

iosub

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
San Sebastian
Hi!

I have a Windows Vista Premium with MCE controling two DVB-T cards..
I also have MP+TV Pluging that conects to another computer that has TV-Server .3

Every time I Open MP on the client computer MCE Services are stoped .. This is very bad.. because my schedule recordings on MCE are stoped

If MP client is not using the onboard DVB-Tunners for nothing (the tuners are on the TVserver machine.. ) why should MP stop the Services??

Can you add a option on MP (General ) for not stoping MCE services?

Also this will be a great feature on another scenario like when you want to have both application on the same computer..

"Windows MCE controling Analog/DVB-Cards and MP controling DVB-S Satellite Cards.."

Please add this option..

Thank you very much!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Every time I Open MP on the client computer MCE Services are stoped .. This is very bad.. because my schedule recordings on MCE are stoped

How do you think MP can connect to these services if M$ is controlling them.

This IS the way it is designed to work, until total service sharing is made available to other software.

iosub

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    San Sebastian
    Hi...
    Please read my post... MP + Tvclient, does not need to access the tvcards...
    The tvcards are on other computer with TvServer... Is MP who is stoping the services with no reason .

Thanks
    Iosu

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The MCE services are stopped because they can take control over the installed TV-Cards.
    which then locks out TV-Server / MediaPortal.

your setup is very special, because normaly noone uses MCE and MediaPortal on the same PC.
    even more special is that you have a TV-Server PC and in your client TV-Cards which were only used by MCE.
    is there any stecific reason why you do ?

iosub

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    San Sebastian
    Hi !

The reason is simple.. I have a computer with 3 harddrive (it's noise) and is my Home Server on one room. I have Install there TV Server with FireDTV-S and two DVB-T cards.

On the livingroom I have and Acer IDEA 510 with windows Vista Premium with 2 DVB-T cards that are controled by MCE. And also i have install Mp+TVclient.

Why do I use MCE instead of MP.. Because right now MCE is more stable and because I want to have the TV Server runing on my Home Server with the 3 harddrivers.. also, my kid knows MCE and is more simple to him to use the MCE. I have also another mp+client computer on my room

But the real issue is why should MP+TvClient stop the MCE services if MP is not using the TV Cards on the Client machine..?

I think that if you put an option in the MP General configuration. The user should be able to make the decission..

So my suggestion is.. Make an Option, leave it ON (by Default) but let the user put it off so the services are not stoped.

Thank you very much for your help and for making this great product.

markysoft

Portal Member
    July 1, 2005
    I created a similar thread a few weeks ago:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/media_center_scheduler_service_should_shut_down-t21375.html

I agree with iosub, the TV Server is the component that accesses the TV cards so the TV server should be the portion that shuts down the MCE service, not the MediaPortal client.

You can run the client on an MCE machine without the TV server installed. In this case MediaPortal shouldn't stop the services.

I guess it's a reasonably common setup, here's why I'm currently using this setup:

------------------
    I was using 2.2 with a hauppauge nova-t card but upgraded to a nova-t 500 dual card. Swapping the card had a detrimental affect on mediaportal and it often locked up when watching live or recorded TV. Weird.

It works OK on the latest cvs releases, so I use mediaportal installed on an MCE machine pointing to another machine that runs the TVE 3 server, but the MCE machine still uses the nova 500 to provide stable(ish) watching of TV, but I can still run MePo for music and testing the TV server.
    -----------------

Anyway, mediaportal is a great product thanks everyone for the effort so far.

On another note I've made a big decision to quit work for a year come September to study a masters in .Net Distributed System Development. I'll have more free time at this point and will join the MediaPortal team in a development capacity, if they'll have me.

I'll get in touch with Smirnoff nearer the time. Thanks for the work so far everyone!

piwikiwi

Portal Member
    May 14, 2007
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi everyone,

I'd just like to say that MediaPortal seems to be the answer to my jukebox interface quest, however I strongly agree that MP should be able to run (certain tasks) without disturbing Windows (yes, I know: what am I thinking?) MCE.

It's really a problem for my setup. Otherwise MediaPortal works great!
    So please,please show us how to give MCE back its services while MP is active.

thans a lot,:D

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom