Please help getting my Auzentech Bravura to work with bit perfect (1 Viewer)

zanlation

Portal Pro
May 26, 2008
Home Country
I just bought a Auzentech X-Fi Bravura 7.1 to replace the onboard VIA VT1708S sound card. I have connected the Auzentech Bravura to my AVR via optical SPDIF. My Yamaha AVR supports analogue and SPDIF inputs only (no HDMI). I have installed ASIO4ALL 2.10 and PureAudio plugin.

When I play any music, FLAC or mp3s, MP shows that it is playing the files but no sound comes from the AVR. I made sure I selected the SPDIF output channels in PureAudio.

I have a few questions;

1. Can I expect bit-perfect output for 44.1, 48 and 96khz samples via SPDIF?
2. Would using analogue outputs into the AVR improve bit-perfect output?

At this stage I only have a stereo speaker setup with Paradigm Monitors.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    1. Can I expect bit-perfect output for 44.1, 48 and 96khz samples via SPDIF?
    Should work. Doesn't the AVR respond in any way to the signal, like showing something on a display?
    Does the auzentech come with a controlpanel? If so, verify all settings there.
    You can also post MP logfiles here. May reveil something.

2. Would using analogue outputs into the AVR improve bit-perfect output?
    Bitperfect is bitperfect and cannot be improved itself. Bitperfect basically means that the digital data that is read from the harddisk is not altered in any way before it is fed into the DAC (digital to analog converter).

What matters next is the quality of the DAC and the analog circuitry coming after that. If the auzentech has equal or better DAC then the AVR, then using the analog outputs can actually be better then the spdif route.

Despite what many people think, spdif is actually not that good a way of transport, even though it is digital.

zanlation

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2008
    Home Country
    I updated to the latest drivers and I have managed to see the different bit-depths being sent to the AVR via the Win7 sound devices window. Both 16 and 24-bit samples are being sent. However, I cannot get this to work in MP.

I have done something different as I can no-longer select the SPDIF channels in PureAudio, as they are not available to ASIO. What program could be locking the SPDIF channels?

I solved the locked channels issue. I now have only the SPDIF channels enabled in ASIO. However, if I use ASIO4ALL at all no music will play in MP. I can use PureAudio if I select the SPDIF device and not ASIO4ALL.

I can get MP to send PCM 44.1 to the AVR, but only if it is manually selected as default in the windows 7 audio device settings. After that everything is sent as 44.1. How can i get the audio device to send bit-perfect signals depending on the source bit-depth?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can get MP to send PCM 44.1 to the AVR, but only if it is manually selected as default in the windows 7 audio device settings. After that everything is sent as 44.1. How can i get the audio device to send bit-perfect signals depending on the source bit-depth?

This is normally a limitation of drivers. Often you can only set one sample rate for PCM output and you are stuck with that. My Asus Sonar HDAV is set to 44.1 as all my music is at that rate and most video is sent as bitstreams

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I now have only the SPDIF channels enabled in ASIO.
    You mean in the ASIO4ALL offline settings?

However, if I use ASIO4ALL at all no music will play in MP. I can use PureAudio if I select the SPDIF device and not ASIO4ALL.
    I would like to see the MP logfiles made when playing over ASIO4ALL
    I assume this SPDIF device is an windows device, and not ASIO?

I can get MP to send PCM 44.1 to the AVR, but only if it is manually selected as default in the windows 7 audio device settings.After that everything is sent as 44.1. How can i get the audio device to send bit-perfect signals depending on the source bit-depth?
    I would like to see the MP logfiles made when playing 48 or 96 kHz this way.

I really need the logfiles before i can help you further. Without them i can only guess.

Like jameson_uk said, i might be a driver limitation. If so, i would use the analog outputs, that will probably allow you to play everything in good quality without troubles.

zanlation

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2008
    Home Country
    I switched over to analogue outputs to my AVR. I can now use ASIO and PureAudio without any problems. The output sound is excellent.

I will do some further testing when I can get time on the HTPC and post some logs with both SPDIF and analogue outputs.

I have also contacted Auzentech about the driver issue. It seems that bit-streaming over SPDIF is only possible when in Auto Creation Mode (in the manual). But the X-Fi Bravura does not have an auto creation model avaliable in the control panel. New drivers are due soon that enable DTS interactive and NEO support. I hope other enhancements will come with it. :-()

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom