please specify the ip address or hostname of the master tv service (1 Viewer)

Crom

Portal Member
June 9, 2008
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2 (upgrading to 1.1.3
MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP
Windows Version: Win 7 32bit
1. TV Card: Nova T 500

2. TV Card: Blackgold 3620

Just in case someone else comes across this problem I had a hard time finding a solution to it. I was receiving the error message in the above subject.

The error was triggered after upgrading from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 and installing a new Blackgold 3620.

Checking error.log produced the following:

2011-04-18 21:28:35.297768 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: TVHome: Error in Reload
2011-04-18 21:28:35.301768 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: Exception :confused:ystem.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Gentle.Framework.ProviderFactory' threw an exception. ---> Error: NoConfigStoreFoundUnclassified
Gentle.Common.GentleException: FATAL ERROR: No configuration store was found!
Gentle is unable to continue!

The handlers emitted the following error messages:
Unable to create GentleSectionHandler for section named "gentle" in file "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe.Config".

Unable to create FileHandler for file Gentle.config.
This usually means that the file could not be found in any of the default search locations.

The handlers threw the following exceptions:
System.Xml.XmlException: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res, String[] args)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Int32 pos, Char invChar)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
at Gentle.Common.FileHandler.LoadXml(TextReader reader)
at Gentle.Common.FileHandler..ctor(String file)
at Gentle.Common.Configurator.AddFileHandler(String configStoreName, String fileName)

at Gentle.Common.Configurator.InitializeHandlers()
at Gentle.Common.Configurator.Configure(String configStoreName, Object instance)
at Gentle.Common.Configurator.Configure(Object instance)
at Gentle.Framework.ProviderRegistry..ctor()
at Gentle.Framework.ProviderFactory..cctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Gentle.Framework.ProviderFactory.GetProvider(Type type)
at Gentle.Framework.SqlBuilder..ctor(IGentleProvider provider, StatementType stmtType, Type type, LogicalOperator logicalOperator)
at Gentle.Framework.SqlBuilder..ctor(StatementType stmtType, Type type)
at TvPlugin.ChannelNavigator.ReLoad()
2011-04-18 21:28:35.301768 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: Exception :The type initializer for 'Gentle.Framework.ProviderFactory' threw an exception.
2011-04-18 21:28:35.302768 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: site :Gentle.Framework.IGentleProvider GetProvider(System.Type)
2011-04-18 21:28:35.302768 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: source :Gentle.Framework
2011-04-18 21:28:35.302768 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: stacktrace: at Gentle.Framework.ProviderFactory.GetProvider(Type type)
at Gentle.Framework.SqlBuilder..ctor(IGentleProvider provider, StatementType stmtType, Type type, LogicalOperator logicalOperator)
at Gentle.Framework.SqlBuilder..ctor(StatementType stmtType, Type type)
at TvPlugin.ChannelNavigator.ReLoad()

Do a search for gentle.config on the C drive. You'll probably find there is more than one.

AFAIK they should live in the following folders:

C:\Users\All Users\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\gentle.config
C:\Users\All Users\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server

I checked and they were both there...and then spent some time scratching my head...until I checked the file contents.

Even though both files were reporting 6kb size in explorer (which is why I hadn't checked the contents) when I opened them one of the files was empty.

So I just copied the one with something in it over the other - take a backup for the outside chance that you need a blank file ;-) - and voila(!) tv is now back in action.

....now back to trying to get the right codec for HD TV.

Cheers,
Crom

mmf

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    AW: please specify the ip address or hostname of the master tv service

Thx, saved me some effort :)

mattzp

November 7, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: AW: please specify the ip address or hostname of the master tv service

Thx, saved me some effort :)

Second that :) was about to hit the button and reinstall from scratch, this post saved me alot of pain.

sincze

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2011
    Do a search for gentle.config on the C drive. You'll probably find there is more than one.

AFAIK they should live in the following folders:

C:\Users\All Users\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\gentle.config
    C:\Users\All Users\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server

I checked and they were both there...and then spent some time scratching my head...until I checked the file contents.

Even though both files were reporting 6kb size in explorer (which is why I hadn't checked the contents) when I opened them one of the files was empty.

So I just copied the one with something in it over the other - take a backup for the outside chance that you need a blank file ;-) - and voila(!) tv is now back in action.
    Crom

After a strange bluescreen on my Win 7 X32 machine Live TV & Recoded TV Playback were impossible.
    MP seems to be unable to connect to the tv server. (Keeps asking my for the hostname or ip address)
    VIDEO section playback is working.

With Crom's explaination saved me some work.
    Now live TV & Recorded TV playback is now working again.

Hopefully no more BSOD's.

eamon

Portal Member
    August 9, 2008
    you rock my world mate. I couldnt figure out what was going on. You just saved me hours of work :)

GaryF

Portal Member
    October 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thank you so much!

Today I suddenly got the error that tv server could not be found and got prompted for ip adress even though the tv server resides on the same computer. I haven't done anything since yesterday when everything worked. But you saved me, one of the gentle files was empty (showed as 0 kb in explorer).

This bug is very serious if it can occur spontaneously like it did for me.

Edit: It has now occurred several times for me and the last time it happened when C: was completely full. Would be interesting to know if that is the case for others aswell.

Last edited:

Da Nib

Portal Member
    November 5, 2008
    somewhere round Gent
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Yep, suddenly appeared; watching tv on my notebook was without a problem, on my desktop where the tv server resides I was unable to watch tv. This post was the solution, thanks very much.

jsc2013

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the fix. I got this error after I accidentally filled up my C: drive (all my TV stuff goes onto a second drive) on xmas eve! Boy was I worried.

You saved my bacon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom