[Plugin] BBC Weather (2 Viewers)

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This plugin presents BBC Weather forecast data in a format similar to the BBC Weather website. There are currently four forecast views available, the 5 day forecast (default), the 24 hour forecast, monthly outlook and the forecast maps. Current observations are shown on all 4 screens.

All images have been re-created to mimic the BBC's (theirs are copyright and of too small a resolution anyway), I'm not a graphics designer so the included images are not up to the same standard as the BBC's but I'll aim to improve them over time - or please shout up if you are good with graphics and are willing to help.

The configuration is as simple as the BBC Weather website, enter a UK postcode or town and select from the possible locations returned.

The plugin only displays a single UK location, the plugin will be developed over time to allow multiple locations supported.

The plugin makes use of the same BBC APIs and web links used to build the localised BBC weather websites so what you see in MediaPortal should match exactly what is displayed on the web.

Future features to be added are:
  • Configurable units - DONE
  • Multiple locations
  • Drill down on the 5 day forecast
  • Animated map view - DONE
  • Launch BBC Weather video forecast (local and UK)

Available in MPEI or the downloads section on www.team-mediaportal.com

Screenshots below....

=BBCWeather_06.jpg

=BBCWeather_07.jpg

=BBCWeather_08.jpg

=BBCWeather_09.jpg

Psycho Reptile

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2006
    Cambridge, England
    Home Country
    Hi cheezey, I've added support for BBC Weather to Mustayaluca, modified your icons a little ;)
    I've come across a little problem on the skinning side.
    The visibility status of most controls is not cleared when they are hidden. Example: Trying to make an image only visible during 5 day <visible>(control.isvisible(206)</visible> - Day 0 day label works when first entering the plugin screen, but when you change views the control will stay on screen. I'm trying to get a different overlay image displayed on the monthly forecast screen.
    Also the fadelabels in the 24 Hour forecast don't respect the <width> property in the skin file. You can see what I mean on 01:00-07:00 in BBC Weather 24 Hour.jpg.
    Running MP 1.2.0 Beta compatible version.
    :D

Attachments

• BBC Weather 5 Day.jpg
      BBC Weather 5 Day.jpg
      202.9 KB
    • BBC Weather 24 Hour.jpg
      BBC Weather 24 Hour.jpg
      217.4 KB
    • BBC Weather Monthly Outlook.jpg
      BBC Weather Monthly Outlook.jpg
      230 KB

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    The visibility status of most controls is not cleared when they are hidden.

When a view is changed the plugin hides controls 100 - 999 then shows the controls required for the specific view. You'll see the control id ranges I've used in the default skin, in summary though they are:

current weather : 100 - 199
    5 day : 200 - 299
    24 hour : 300 - 499
    monthly forecast : 500 - 599
    map view : 600 - 699 <-- nearly done this

The current version though only shows 500-505 for the monthly view, i'll change this to 500-599 in the next version (like the 5 day and 24 hour views). This should allow you to just add controls with the unused ids. Does that make sense?

Also the fadelabels in the 24 Hour forecast don't respect the <width> property in the skin file. You can see what I mean on 01:00-07:00 in BBC Weather 24 Hour.jpg.

I think this is due to there being a CrLf character in the fadelabel text, I've noticed that as well on the Black Glass HD skin file I put together. I'll fix this in the next release so there are two controls, one for the time and one for the day.

Nice looking skin/images btw :)

Psycho Reptile

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2006
    Cambridge, England
    Home Country
    The current version though only shows 500-505 for the monthly view, i'll change this to 500-599 in the next version (like the 5 day and 24 hour views). This should allow you to just add controls with the unused ids. Does that make sense?
    Managed to do what I wanted to do by using unsed control 505 in the monthly forecast ;)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: [Plugin] BBC Weather

One question:
    Will this plugin work with cities outside the UK? On BBC weather site you can choose cities form all over the world or UK only.
    Thanks!

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    Re: AW: [Plugin] BBC Weather

One question:
    Will this plugin work with cities outside the UK? On BBC weather site you can choose cities form all over the world or UK only.
    Thanks!

Not yet, while you can select world wide locations you do not get the same forecasts as UK cities, I'll see what is available to include in a future version.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: [Plugin] BBC Weather

Would be nice if world wide locations could be included in the future.
    Thanks for this plugin! =)

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    I've put together a skinfile/images for the Avalon skin, you can get it in the Avalon thread.

The weather images are the cool glossy ones modified by Psycho Reptile above. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom