Plugin Request...... (1 Viewer)

Bleazle

Portal Pro
July 14, 2007
Pukekohe
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi All

Firstly let me say, I love MediaPortal but as with anything there's always room for improvement :) I don't know about anyone else but to me the way images (pictures/cd & dvd covers etc) are shown in MediaPortal seems a bit "old fashioned" - the icon and filmstrip views are just a bit "clunky" feeling especially when you compare it to say an iPhone for example. I'd love to be able to see the same sort of smooth "zooming" around effects in MediaPortal.

To see an example of what I'd like to see in MediaPortal check out this Firefox plugin: Cooliris | Discover More . I use it all the time and it's great - very slick and a real time saver.

I'm no plugin developer so I've got no idea if a plugin like this could be developed for MediaPortal but I thought I'd put it out there so that those of you that know about this kind of stuff could take a look and see what you think.

Cheers

Bleazle

kyleh0000

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 28, 2009
    Home Country
    hmmm that cooliris looks very interesting, only thing i dont like about it for a media center is it would be hard to develop this to be using only with a remote

but it does look very cool

i have never really used the picture view component of media portal but i have been thinking about it for a while if it looked like that i would definitely set it up

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...it would be hard to develop this to be using only with a remote...

... that's what I thought too but I've just installed it on my HTPC and using the UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT arrows it works OK. I think if some other buttons (like channel up/down) etc were used as well you could make a plugin like this "useable" within MP. But as I said above I REALLY don't know about this stuff.

Worst case scenario is that this thread will point you guys to the Cooliris plugin for Firefox and that's not a bad thing! :D

EDIT: Just to be clear, if a plugin like this were to be developed it would be great if (like Cooliris) it combined video and picture results. That way when you go on holiday (for example) and take video and pics you could leave them all in one folder and the "Cooliris" (for want of another name) plugin could be used to look at all image files in that folder rather than having those files split up between two plugins/folders as is the case with MP at the moment...

I really hope someone picks this up and runs with it.....

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    today i did some digging and cooliris is not yet "mature" enough for this.. as far as i saw api misses some basic stuff we would need (folder navigation for example) and also keyboard navigation in general is a pain and very often "stuck" or "unlogical" in videos.. it does not support offline videos yet..

but they are getting close.. perhaps soon we'll have cooliris plugin.. :)

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    today i did some digging and cooliris is not yet "mature" enough for this.. as far as i saw api misses some basic stuff we would need (folder navigation for example) and also keyboard navigation in general is a pain and very often "stuck" or "unlogical" in videos.. it does not support offline videos yet..

but they are getting close.. perhaps soon we'll have cooliris plugin.. :)

Thanks for the update/info. OK, I'll be expecting your release of Cooliris for MP in the (near?) future then?.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom