[Plugin] Sense 0.2 Alpha (control MediaPortal using Kinect) (1 Viewer)

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sense
    Current version: 0.2.0.11 (ALPHA)

Download | Changelog | Source | Issue Tracker | Website

Recently the "official" drivers of the hardware behind Kinect were released as open source. After some hours of playing around with the motion detection (and lots of retarded waving) I am ready to release the alpha version of the plugin for testing. There's a lot of finetuning ahead but that's where YOU as the community come in.

The working title for the plugin is Sense because the libraries are not just for Kinect but for a whole range of sensor devices.

Features

Control MediaPortal using the Kinect Sensor!

Video #1: YouTube - Control MediaPortal using Kinect (Sense plugin) (0.2 alpha)

Requirements

You need the following drivers / software installed on your machine.

1. OpenNI http://openni.org/sites/default/files/OPENNI-Win32-1.0.0.23.exe
    2. PrimeSense NITE http://downloads.primesense.com/NITE-Win32-1.3.0.17.exe
    3. PrimeSense PSDK Driver (Kinect patch) https://github.com/avin2/SensorKine...d9b50ee1baf0/Bin/SensorKinect-Win32-5.0.0.exe

After installation of the drivers and framework, connect your Kinect Sensor to your PC and check whether it recognizes the Kinect Motor and Camera. Note that the audio driver is NOT recognized - this is OK.

Installation

1. Extract the contents of the archive into the "%PROGRAMFILES%/Team Mediaportal/MediaPortal" folder.
    2. Copy the contents of the "/Skin" folder to your current skin folder (this will enable Sense sounds)
    3. Make sure the plugin is enabled in your configuration (default should be enabled).

note: You will also get a new "/Data" folder in the MediaPortal application folder which contains an "openni.xml" file.

Usage

Gently wave at the Kinect Sensor untill you hear a sound indicating the session has started.
    Once in session you can do the following gestures to navigate.

• Swipe your hand up/down/left/right to navigate one step into that direction.
    • Move your hand forward ("push" in a straight motion) to select. (enter)
    • Move your hand back ("pull" in a straight motion) to go to the previous screen. (esc)
    • Gently keeping waving your hand left/right (X-axis) or up/down (Y-axis) to enable scrolling for the specfied axis.
    • When in scroll mode move your hand to scroll the list (the scroll is locked on the axis you triggered it on)
    • When in scroll mode hold your hand still for 2 seconds to disable scrolling

The swipe gestures need a short steady hand in between directions (about 1/10 of a second) to be able to register a new swipe.
    So if you keep your hand in motion right after you swiped you will not trigger new swipes untill you stop moving. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the controls. All gestures should be done in a gently manner, no need to get wild :D

Ending a session manually is temporarily disabled, to end a session just make sure your hand can't be tracked by the sensor.
    A different sound will play indicating the session is ended.

Credits

Credits to Johnsel (creator of the XBMC Kinect Control) for sharing thoughts and code snippets with me. We will keep in contact during the development of both our projects.

Bug Reports / Suggestions

I really love to get some community feedback about the current experience or new ideas about controlling MediaPortal with your hand(s) and/or body.
    Please do not post bugs in this thread. If you have a bug report, please browse the Issue Tracker and create a new issue if it was not reported before.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: [Plugin] MPSense: control MediaPortal using Kinect!

I have a Kinect but it is wrapped up and the other half wont let me have it until xmas day. Looking forward to giving this a whirl :D

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: [Plugin] Sense 0.1.0 Alpha (control MediaPortal using Kinect)

.. and there's the first alpha release! :D

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Ahahaha, another good one!!!!!

Might just get me one for the fun of it... :)

:D

chriszero

Portal Member
    July 18, 2008
    Lauffen a. N.
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Very nice...
    Testing right now!
    :D

Works on my HTPC. But it is difficult to control. Maybe using some kind of wipe gesture. Or have some kind of indicator to know where the hand is.

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

i'm currently trying out some other gestures but it's a time consuming process ;)

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland

Nice idea. Thanks for your effort. But before I buy Kinect could you please upload some video demo on youtube to show the results, please? It would speed up my purchase decision.
    Thx,
    kesar

tillz0r

Portal Member
    February 10, 2009

Is there a tool to calibrate the kinect with the PC? I'm finding it pretty flaky at the moment. Often it's not detecting the initial wave then when it does eventually it will get stuck scrolling up or down.

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

I think the mistake here is the "fixed" control area. There currently is a virtual "square in the air' like the attached image. To make the movement stop you should put your hand in the neutral or single-step area's. I'm working on making this area dynamic so that the neutral position is always where your hand is put to "rest". Expect a new version later today. Calibration is a planned option and when i figure out how to do this (and control the motor for that matter) this will be one of my top priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom