MUSIC RATING UPDATER - plugin to store star rating inside each mp3 file (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MUSIC RATING UPDATER BY HWAHRMANN

DESCRIPTION:
    Mediaportal by default only stores music rating inside it's own database. This plugin will store the rating inside the mp3 file.
    Batch update: Scans entire MP music database and updates the ratings inside each mp3 file.
    Automatic mode: Listens to changes in the ratings, which a user does in the Now Playing screen and will update the file as soon as it finishes.

DOWNLOAD LINK FOR PLUGIN:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/music/music-rating-updater?lang=en

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone write a process plugin or a standalone exe that will analyse the music database and grab the MP rating then update the id3tags of each rated mp3 file?

This would be handy because
    (1) Don't loose ratings information if you move the music files around or change the database.
    (2) Don't loose ratings information if you format the computer/reinstall mediaportal
    (3) You can share rating information with other applications eg. WMP11

PS - MP can read the id3tags ratings when it loads an mp3, but doesn't write to the id3tag when you rate a track.

A process plugin could update the id3tag everytime you rate a track.
    A standalone exe could be run once daily at night to update the ratings information in each mp3 file

Last edited:

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i think the best option would be, if i update the tags directly when changing the rating. iirc, it is only within NowPlaying, where we change the rating.

How do we want the rating written into the tags? (WMP scheme or 1 - 5 corresponding to the stars? )

i'll also provide a utility, which will read the Music DB and write the rating to the tags. this could be some sort of one-time conversion of already existing ratings in the db.
    After that, the ratings will be written to the files automatically anyhow.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The idea of writing to id3tags within the core program of mediaportal has been raised in the forums in the past. It was suggested that users might not want MP messing with the ID3tags because people were worried that a bug could erase important data, or ruin someones mp3 collection. That is why i suggested a process plugin. I also like the idea of a process plugin because I want to stick with MP1.0 Final.

A program that could update the id3tags from the database in one swoop would be great for me. I could then run the program prior to restoring an old ghost copy of mediaportal or prior to upgrading.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    ok, try with the attached Process Plugin.
    copy it to th plugin\process folder.

from within Configuration.exe enable it and start it's config dialog.
    select, if you want to have Star Rating or WMP Rating.
    Then press the "Start" button.

i will retrieve all songs from the db having a rating > 0 and update the file, if the rating is different to the already stored one.

Star Rating writes a POPM frame with "MediaPortal" as user and values from 1 - 5
    WMP Rating writes a POPM frame with "Windows Media Player 9 Series" as users and the corresponding values, that wmp would like to see.

I've put already code in place, which will be activated, once MP 1.1.0 is released.
    Then i will automatically detect any changes to rating done inside theMP GUI and update the file accordingly.

tell me, how it works, o that can release the plugin to the community.

at the moment, i'm only processing mp3 files. other files will follow, once i have more time.

Attachments

• MusicRatingUpdater.zip
      30.7 KB

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    im going to china so will have to test when i return in 2 weeks
    however thank you very very much!

madaed

February 14, 2008
    I've been looking for such a plugin for many, many months. Great work, thank you very much so far! If the plugin could also write wma files, it would be perfect. ;)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: Plugin / standalone .exe to Scan music database for track rating and store in id3

ok, try with the attached Process Plugin.
    copy it to th plugin\process folder.

from within Configuration.exe enable it and start it's config dialog.
    select, if you want to have Star Rating or WMP Rating.
    Then press the "Start" button.

i will retrieve all songs from the db having a rating > 0 and update the file, if the rating is different to the already stored one.

Star Rating writes a POPM frame with "MediaPortal" as user and values from 1 - 5
    WMP Rating writes a POPM frame with "Windows Media Player 9 Series" as users and the corresponding values, that wmp would like to see.

I've put already code in place, which will be activated, once MP 1.1.0 is released.
    Then i will automatically detect any changes to rating done inside theMP GUI and update the file accordingly.

tell me, how it works, o that can release the plugin to the community.

at the moment, i'm only processing mp3 files. other files will follow, once i have more time.

This doesn't seem to work with MP1.1+SVN

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: Plugin / standalone .exe to Scan music database for track rating and store in id3

do you get an error?

will try this evening

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

no error, just nothing happens. no HDD activity, no text saying it is processing the files. doesn't appear to crash.

PS - It was working great when i last used it (MP1.0.2)

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

What are you expecting the plugin to do?
    it is still compiled for 1.02, which means that Batch Update from within Config is the only function working.

I didn't activate the online updating for 1.1.
    This is something i will do later on today (This week).
    First i will implement setting of the rating for other files as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom