[Plugin] WakeOnLan / Windows home server (1 Viewer)

kroko

Portal Pro
February 4, 2007
Itzehoe
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there,

yesterday I found one of my old PCs somewhere in my flat. So I decided to install WHS (windows home server) on it. I was always thinking to buy a NAS or something, so maybe this is a solution.

I installed WHS and everything works so far. But do we need to have the server running the whole day ? So I setup the server to go to hibernate after a short time period (1h).

I found some tools like wakeup to switch on the server from my desktop. Thats fine but I need a solution for my HTPC as well.
So I wrote a small WOL plugin. It will wake up the server and then keep it alive in a configurable interval.

Copy the dll into the process folder to get it working. I will do an installer in a bit.
In the setup you need to enter the mac id and the ip of the server. Also You can try to start the server from the setup. If it works here it works from the MP too. (see screenshot)

* new add adjustable interval

So far
kroko

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    23.1 KB
  • WakeOnLan.zip
    65.7 KB

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: WakeOnLan / Windows home server

Interesting.

I did this so far with Lightsout and the script from LarryS.

I presume this dll will keep the WHS running when MP is started?

As I have also a 2nd WHS for Backup and old,old stuff this would do the trick to start it only when MP client is running

Is it possible to configure the broadcast intervall? all 60sec with a shutdown of 1hr seems a little bit too much.

Cheers,

P.S: still looking for a share folder based WOL; i.e. waking a specific server when a folder of his share is accessed.

kroko

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2007
    Itzehoe
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi yhoogi,

yes this will keep the WHS running. I will add an option to adjust the interval in the next release. Also to trick the WHS I had to read one directory time by time. Right now I will do some test, if I can do this without using user/pw.

On my machine with connector installed it works without login from the software.
    I give you an update later.

kroko

nachttier

Portal Pro
    March 31, 2006
    Viernheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: WakeOnLan / Windows home server

P.S: still looking for a share folder based WOL; i.e. waking a specific server when a folder of his share is accessed.

+1

Additionally, I had the idea to use the non-free version of Lights-Out, which can be configured to keep the server alive as long as a certain IP address is available, i.e. the HTPC is switched on -> keep server alive. But since the "WOL on folder access" plugin does not exist yet, I did not test this setup. But maybe you guys come up with another possibility.

Keep it up!
    nachttier

P.S. just for the improbable case you missed this similar plugin, here is the link: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...wercontrol-plugin-mediaportal-v0-3-0-a-86295/

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I am also using lightsout on the whs and the client on my htpc. This combined with a batch file that prevents Mediaportal from starting before the whs is reachable does the trick.
    (Not to downrate your work, just saying ;))

kroko

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2007
    Itzehoe
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: [Plugin] WakeOnLan / Windows home server

Hi

thanks for the information. I have about 6 clients in my house. Some of them just play a mp3 album time by time and two HTPC are only "ON" sometimes. So I thought a good idea to hibernate the server if not used. In fact it seem not to work sometimes on the server side. So for now I also installed the whs plugin "lightsout" on the server side monitoring the network load. -> hibernate after 30min

Because my plugin is a process plugin the server will be wake up as soon one of my kids will start the htpc. The startup time of my server is beetween 10 and 30 sec. depending if I use hibernate or suspend.

The main goal was to have something easy. The power control might do the job too, but you have manual to start the server.
    Anyway I will let you know how good or bad it works the next weeks.

Cheers
    kroko

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom