possible for multiple moving pictures (1 Viewer)

nwaps

Portal Member
September 18, 2008
I am sure this may sound strange but is it possible to have 2 or more different instances of moving pictures installed on one system? using different databases? I will try to explain what my setup is so that you can get an idea of what im looking for and why.

i would like to have different ones so that i could have one setup with regular dvds and one as dvdrips and one as hd. That way i wouldn't have multiple movies listed at the same time.

my media collection is on a server so that i can access anything from anywhere in the house. I have bluray files, hddvd files, dvd files, avi file, ect... The computer for my living room tv can play anything. I also have a few other computers that cant play hd or isnt setup to play iso files of regular dvds. Because of this i have some movies in several formats.

I will use Iron man as and example, i have a dvd iso so that my bedroom computer can play a good version of the movie if i want. I have a bluray file if i want to play it in the living room and an avi if my kids want to watch it in their room. Since there are 3 versions they will all show up when i start moving pictures. its kind of hard to know that i am getting the right one.

hope i explained what im looking for and if this has been said before or there is a simple fix then sorry for being stupid but i cannot find it.

thanks

Kiwi

Portal Pro
September 21, 2006
Pukerua Bay
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
+1

I have a different reason, in that I'd like to keep "Kids" movies seperate from non-kids movies. I have these in two seperate directories on the HTPC, which in the standard 'my videos' you just navigate to the correct directory. Moving Pictures agregates all directories into the one.
Thanks

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
It sounds to me like you want only specific movies showing up on specific machines. Is this correct? You said at the beginning you wanted multiple installs of Moving Pictures on one machine, but the use case you describe below that sounds to me like you want different file sets displayed for each machine running one copy of Moving Pictures. So I am a little confused.

As far as displaying only a subset of movies, that would be filtering, which is scheduled. We also have parental controls scheduled on the issue list somewhere too.

nwaps

Portal Member
September 18, 2008
It sounds to me like you want only specific movies showing up on specific machines. Is this correct? You said at the beginning you wanted multiple installs of Moving Pictures on one machine, but the use case you describe below that sounds to me like you want different file sets displayed for each machine running one copy of Moving Pictures. So I am a little confused.

As far as displaying only a subset of movies, that would be filtering, which is scheduled. We also have parental controls scheduled on the issue list somewhere too.

sorry if i confused you. Some computers i have allready setup to use one copy of Moving Pictures because those computers cant handle dvd or hd or whatever.
on the machine that is attached to my tv i would like to have multiple installs. i have some regular dvds that i dont have hd of and so on. i would like to be able to still be able to see my regular dvds and other rips. this way if a friend comes over and asks what have you got on hd to watch i could click one instance of it and see nothing but hd.

as it stands i have about 75 hd movies, all of which i have the regular dvd of and a bunch i have as avi files. i know i could manually go into the database and delete all the dvd and avi versions of the duplicates. if i done that then what happens if i want to check out the dvd instead of the bluray rip?

i hope i said that where you can understand what im trying to say. its not really filtering that im looking for. just would like to be able to have multiple installs of Moving Pictures.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
I understand. To have multiple installs of Moving Pictures all running at once it would take some significant changes to the way the plug-in is designed. I think it is very likely that in a few months you will be able to launch moving pictures, then (if you configured it) you'd be prompted with a list of filters or movie types or whatever you want to call it. Basically a list that lets you pick DVD, Bluray, reencoded video files, etc. This is the "filtering system". It would allow people to setup their movie collection for browsing in any way they choose. But this is a little ways off right now...

marvenius

Portal Pro
September 3, 2008
Belgium
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hey Fforde,

just checked the issue system but can't find it: Will the filtering system include multiple filters?
So, all divx after 2006 with subs? This will depend heavily on mediainfo I guess... Not that I have so many movies that I couldn't do without a single filter (only .iso or .avi e.g.) but since I read that some have over 1000 movies, this single filter would still mean a lot of browsing.. (and glad I don't have kids ;) )

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Yes planning to have drill down and grouped conditionals. Everything needs to be defined a little better for it as the feature approaches though.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I actually seem to be sharing the Moving Pictures db across mutiple MP clients. However, if 1 client has Moving Pictures loaded, the other client cannot access the configuration, it can only display which is fine.

pgjensen

Portal Pro
    May 1, 2008
    any update on this?

i really would like my divx/xvid separate from my HD movies :( right now i'm using moving pictures for HD only and i would love it for the rest of my movies!

edit:

i see the current milestone for filtering is 0.8.0, great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom