possible for multiple moving pictures (1 Viewer)

AgeOfPanic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 9, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't know if this is the same thing as multiple instances of Moving Pictures. But my suggestion (if possible) would be to be able to have multiple "shortcuts" on the home menu. And be able to configure thoose shortcuts with custom names (like now) and custom filtering.

For example I would like to have one shortcut for "Movies" and one called "Concerts". The shortcut "Movies" should load Moving Pictures but filter out everything tagged with genre "Concerts". And the shortcut "Concerts" should load Moving Pictures but filter out everything everything except thoose tagged with "Concerts".

I understand multiple instances of Moving Pictures is not the same thing as filtering, I was just saying that in your situations they both solve similar problems. Again though, there are a lot of hurdles that make implementing official support of multiple installs very difficult.

Ultimately though, the setup you are describing is also outside the scope of Moving Pictures. Moving Pictures is designed exclusively for movie content. If you want to use it for other things (like for concerts for example) that is great and I am glad you are finding new uses for the plug-in, but that is unfortunately not an area where we are focusing our efforts right now. See this thread for more details.

Just want to give my two cents. I understand that multiple instances of the same plugin is difficult, but what about Johan's suggestion to have a direct link to a certain filter at the home screen? You could have one database, one plugin and for the people who want to use this plugin also for concerts (I am one of them), you could just make a shortcut to this filter on the home screen. I for one would very much appreciate such an option, because I don't feel concerts belong in the movie section. Moving Pictures is such a great plugin though, that it would be nice to have it monitoring my concerts as well. If this would give a lot of problems as well, I totally understand. I will look for a different solution then.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I think this is a good idea, but it is not possible as far as I know with the current MediaPortal setup. It would require an enhancement on their end. Not to say this rules the possibility out. Maybe once we get 0.8 released we will look into it.

savaino

Portal Member
    November 13, 2006
    I guess I'll add to the thread also my support to the request for multiple instances of Moving Pictures.
    In my case for example I have 10 to 20 movies that I'm going to watch sooner or later, and then I have more than 400 movies that I archived and my access from time to time. In this case it would be super to have a "Main" movie menu and then a "Movies Archive" menu. Hope the new filtering feature will help in this direction.
    Oh, I forgot: GREAT PLUGIN!!!! Thanks fforde & C for this great contribution. I seriously think this plugin should be part of MP natively.
    --sav

murks_muell

Portal Pro
    October 14, 2008
    In my case for example I have 10 to 20 movies that I'm going to watch sooner or later, and then I have more than 400 movies that I archived and my access from time to time. In this case it would be super to have a "Main" movie menu and then a "Movies Archive" menu. Hope the new filtering feature will help in this direction.

+1

I have a 'movie archive' and also a 'current movies'. At the moment I can't access the archive with MP as I can't access the two types separatly. In despair I even tried MyFilms - horrible experience...

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

+1

I have a 'movie archive' and also a 'current movies'. At the moment I can't access the archive with MP as I can't access the two types separatly. In despair I even tried MyFilms - horrible experience...
    The ability to create "top level groups" should solve all issues.

Means that i create i.e. 2 groups. Kids and Parents
    ideally there should be an option to assign PIN's, and set one of these groups as "default" if you want.

So when i enter MP -> MovingPictures i will then see "Kids" and "Parents" as selectable items. (or if i set one of these 2 as default, i would instantly be presented with the movies they contain)

You could do simmilar with i.e. "New Movies" and "Archive".
    So what you would have to do is to create such "Groups/Sections" and assign the movies to the right group.

I am not sure, but i think that adding such a "group/section" feature should not even be "that much work". :)

Btw. one more idea for such toplevel groups would be a automatically created "movies added during the last 14 days" item.
    just a thought. :)

pgjensen

Portal Pro
    May 1, 2008
    in the next release you can add movies manually to a category, and i assume through the gui once it's released. that way you could have a "Need To Watch" category with all the movies you mark for watching.

an alternate would be to suggest an additional "Watched" switch (i.e. Watched, UnWatched, ToWatch)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom