Possible MP external gadget? (Chumby)

Discussion in 'OffTopic' started by mzemina, September 5, 2006.

1. mzemina
    • Premium Supporter

mzemina Retired Team Member

Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Take a look at the Engadget hands-on review regarding the Chumby, here: http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/05/hands-on-with-the-chumby/

If you haven't heard about the Chumby, then you should look here: http://www.chumby.com/corporate/whatischumby

The most interesting part about the Chumby, according to Engadget "...an almost entirely open-source device (hardware included) designed to run widgets assigned via a web interface"

You may ask what has this to do with MediaPortal? Since it has wi-fi built-in we (those of us so inclined) could develop a MediaPortal gadget for it which could allow a music interface as one possibility to be the display and possible control for MediaPortal.

Since MP consist of skinners and developers this could be interesting project at a point in time! It appears that the Chumby interface is Flash based, but maybe for those that are Flash proficient it could be a jumping off point!

I think it would be interesting to watch as this device advance to production.

One last point - If an interesting enough idea could be presented, then you could get a free one to play with! They say: If you're a serious alpha-geek hacker, a clever crafter or an accomplished Flash animator, tell us what you'd like to do with a chumby and maybe we'll part with one of our precious few prototypes. - look here: http://www.chumby.com/corporate/createorlogin at the upper left, under FREE SAMPLE

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NLS

NLS Portal Pro

IT
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Greece Greece
    interesting concept (?)

4. samuel337

samuel337 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's something about squeezing something that has people on the net raving... I guess it would be pretty cool being about to control something like that, but I wonder if its a novelty thing...

Regardless... I want one :D

Sam

5. pStar

pStar Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    hi there, i'm wondering, why there isn't more feedback on the chumby...

i like this chumbything-idea a lot. hopefully someone (whos able to code/and or skin) will take this thing and turn it into the perfect remote for mediaportal. woohh, would this be cool.
    it's much cheaper than a pda (which was my preferred remote, till i saw the chumby). it also could be a streaming client for music (perhaps video) and a external display gadget, so you can leave your tvset/beamer off, if you just want to program your pvr. i'm excited! :D

regards

6. funkstar
    • Premium Supporter

funkstar Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Home Country:
    Scotland Scotland
    Shame it isn't available yet, I'd like to know how much it is before i get excited and want one :)

7. m.standish

m.standish Portal Pro

Loft Conversions, Been In I.T For last 6 yr, Wante
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    wow, this thing could be awesome! portable MP / remote / streaming audio!
    could go make dinner and fetch it with me
    Really hope someone dev`s this

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!