Possible to password protect categories, not just individual movies? (1 Viewer)

Biffa001

Portal Pro
May 9, 2008
I would like to be able to password protect whole categories and not just individual films:

Could I have it set up like this:

Kids Flicks
New Movies
Unwatched
DVD
HD
Genre (password protected)
All (password protected)

Is this possible.

Or alternatively I like the way you can have separate menus as seen in MediaPortal TV-Series where you can have x shows in a menu called TV and x other shows in a menu called Fave's and have one password protected.

Thanks for the help :)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
No that is not quite how our parental controls system works, you can not password protect a specific category. You define what movies are kid friendly (for example anything rated G or PG?) and then those are by default the only movies displayed in the GUI. If you goto Genres for example, Monster House may still be listed under Horror but The Exorcist would be hidden. Toggling the Parental Controls filter via the menu shows everything.

You can set this at the bottom of the GUI Settings tab in the Configuration Screen. Hope this helps.

Biffa001

Portal Pro
May 9, 2008
Thanks, that actually works great. I just use the Parental Controls, then take out all the rules so it will include all films, then use the "always exclude these movies" box to filter out by password the movies I want. Then I can have the normal list with all my categories and the password protected films hidden till I need them.

Just a note for others trying this. The first time I kept getting an error (CLR20R3) with MediaPortal crashing as I tried to scroll through my categories. This was because in the setup I had picked a no-excluded movie for the wallpaper for that category. Easy to fix, just have "a random movie under this menu item" as a backdrop.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    then use the "always exclude these movies" box to filter out by password the movies I want.

Why would you want to manually keep adding movies to the parental filter?

If in the future you ever add another non-kid-friendly movie, and you forget to update the parental filter again, then the kids have full access. Instead you should look into automatic methods, and since you can add multiple filters you can create a parental filter setup that does the following example:

• Include any R, and X rated movies (possibly add PG and PG-13 if your kids are very young)
    • Include any movie that has "\Adult movies\" in the fullpath (eventhough 'X' certification should cover these, this only works if all your adult movies correctly scrape and are assigned a certification, the CDUniverse scraper should work fine though)

You can even create a folder "\PIN Protected\" and filter on those as well. Since MovingPictures is able to recognize files being moved between import paths, it will only update the path. You do have to be sure that the 'move' is instant, so if you move over a slow network, then the movie will first be deleted and then re-added, so you loose your watched flag status. In those cases, simply shut down MediaPortal, move the files over and then restart MediaPortal. It will always detect the new location correct then.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Glad it is working for you Biffa001! And yeah the filter system is pretty flexible. Most people will define criteria for kid friendly movies so if something doesn't match the criteria because of a missing rating or something it will automatically be excluded (better safe than sorry!) But whatever works for you. :)

Biffa001

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2008
    It's not for keeping 15 or 18 rated movies away from tiny eyes (although when my 16 month old can actually use the remote I will rethink this). I like to be able to have 2 seperate lists for myself and my wife.

With pin protect on (and certain movies excluded) I have an organized list of all the movies that we both like to watch. When I select the "show all the movies" option from the menu I then get a list with all the movies + just the ones I like to watch. Everytime I get a new movie I just add it to the exclusion list, easy!

I do the same with MP-TV Series. It makes it easier for my wife to navigate through only the TV programs or movies that she likes to watch.

It may be a cack-handed way of doing it but it's easy and works for me. :)

Thanks guys for the help.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Everytime I get a new movie I just add it to the exclusion list, easy!

That is exactly what I do myself as well, however it is hard for me to control the configuration screen of MovingPictures from the couch with remote control, so what I did was abuse the user-rating system. It is possible to add the user-rating values to the parental filter, say for example user-rating '2'. Then any movie that you rate '2' via the context menu inside MovingPictures will dissapear until you unlock the parental controls (and you can use the 'recently added' category to quickly find them).

You can then also use this same user-rating value of '2' to setup a custom category, for example "Movies For The Wife", so it is even easier for her to find them. I even have it setup where I abuse all 5 user-ratings with powerful category filter combinations.

The reason I say abuse, is because it will ruin your MovingPicturesSocial experience (since it syncs your ratings), but I'm still mentioning the option since you might prefer WAF over MPS :D

Biffa001

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2008
    another good way to do the same thing. I think I could use the term abuse too for my tweaked setup.

I have a KB for couch fiddling of the config so no probs for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom