Possible to stream tv to ipad? What hardware needed? (1 Viewer)

mightymauz

Portal Member
September 7, 2011
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi guys, I am new to MP and I would like to ask for some advice. I would like to ask for if my wishes are possible and to ask for a hardware advice.

I would like to use MP to make myself mobile and have the ability to view and record tv programs on the road. Because I am from Europe, where channels are restricted by borders, I would like to be able to view my tv while I am abroad.
For that purpose I would like to install a HTPC at my home that would be able to stream tv to my ipad and laptop over the internet. And after reading I decided to go for MediaPortal with IPimp.

I do not care so much for the movies and tv series capabilities as I can take them with me anyway. TV streaming and timeshifting is my main concern. And the tv card is analog and I also have DVB-T for a better cleaner quality.

As for the second question, I have currently an old HTPC which needs a serious upgrade, as it would never be able to convert to an ipad compatible format on a decent speed. I can get an Athlon X2 4400 with 2 gig of RAM, which looks good for the job to me. But I was wondering if I can accelerate the video encoding with a videocard. Does mediaportal/ipimp support encoding with CUDA (NVidia) or an ATi alternative?

And I also have a NAS, which I can fully access through the internet. Can I somehow use it in combination with MP? I can imagine something like storing the tv-recordings there.

So
- Is it possible to stream to ipad over the internet?
- Is it possible to set up recordings remotely on an ipad?
- What kind of hardware is needed? Is the stuff I have in mind good enough?
- Does MP/IPimp support CUDA or other hardware acceleration?

mightymauz

Portal Member
September 7, 2011
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I already have an app like that, it connects through a vnc connection. It works quite nice, but it isn't good for streaming video.

mickelin

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Check out Hauppauge's WinTV Extend. It streams live TV from a tv card in your Windows PC to an ipad/iphone over WiFi or 3G. You can also record tvand use MP videos to watch the recordings.

RLinSweden

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I don't no what yuo are missing with Splashtop. I just login to an client-PC and start MP. From there I can do and look to everething in my IPAD as I do directly on the Client PC

Kind Regards

RlinSweden

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Another way is using iPimp, there you can tream any media to your ipad and also change settings from there or you might take a look at MPDisplay2, which can alsi make your ipad an extra display like splashtop as RLinsweden wrote above, but there you can change settings how it is suppposed to show up and you can even skin it as the normal GUI.

mightymauz

Portal Member
    September 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thank you. I am currently working on ipimp, but my pc is currently too slow for on the fly mp4 encoding. I am waiting for some new hardware and i hope that everything will be all right then

mightymauz

Portal Member
    September 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I got my new hardware (Amd athlon II X2 250) and it works fabulous. No help from the gpu needed. The only thing I am looking for now is the optimal settings for streaming the tv material to my ipad. I am looking for a little bit more quality (I think the original profile was meant for an iphone) and upload bandwidth is not an issue.

I have no experience with ffmpeg command lines and I see that is what ipimp is using in it's config file. I can adjust some settings there and I also see that the cpu load spikes if I change settings, but could someone give me good settings for an ipad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom