[ATI] Post-processing necessity? (1 Viewer)

OllieZA

Portal Member
July 9, 2010
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
I am in the process of upgrading my video card. Currently installed: ATI 4350 (passive). This was originally selected as it was the most cost effective GPU providing 1080p acceleration and bitstreaming.

I want to upgrade in order to bitstream HD audio.

Going the cost-effective route again, the 5450 looks like the obvious choice. However, I've been led to believe that the more potent GPUs differ from the 5450 in post-processing abilities.

I don't play games, nor do I encode.

Is post-processing strictly necessary? Do you use it on HD material? If not, should I just go the 5450 route and be done with it?

Mew

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Hertfordshire
Home Country
England England
Hi OllieZA

I have a passive AMD HD 5450 and I find it fine for 1080P video and audio passthrough including HD audio.

It does however struggle a little with deinterlacing 1080i and the best I could use was Bob deinterlacing with the MS Decoders. If I tried PDVD 10 or Vector Adaptive deinterlacing (which I understand to be the best) the picture stuttered. Further reading implies the card is borderline for this and a card slightly higher up the range may have been better. If you are not using it for HDTV and video only, this may not be an issue.

I also have a slight problem that sometimes, after resume, there is no sound and Windows 7 says that the sound card is unplugged. Seeing as the 5450 is the soundcard this cannot be the case as I would not be able to see Windows. I assume this is an AMD driver issue and hope to see it fixed in each new release but it has not been yet. In fact 11.5 seemed to cause problems for HDTV for me and other MediaPortal users so I reverted to 11.4. I haven't heard anyone with this resume issue so it might be perculiar to my setup.

Anyway, hope this helps a little.

Mew

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I currently run a 5670 gddr5 card, but everso often I get artifacts on the screen. I had these previously with a 5450 and had hoped the 5670 will fix the issue (assuming its card based)

I read on tomshardware that they dont think the 5670 can do mosquito without dropped frames, but the 6570/6670 can???

I am wondering if its worth upgrading from the 5670 to the 6570/6670 GDDR5 card? (one website I found said it wasnt worth it - changing from a 5670 to 6570)

J.

ps - Will my HTPC quest ever end! :D

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Post-processing necessity?

Jay_UK
    Artfacts are / were only fixed in CCC 11.4. Before or later had/have issues.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I have run all versions of CCC since 9.x something....I am currently on 11.4 (as 11.5 is a load of rubbish - well on my system anyway).

Normally content is fine, SD even looks like HD at times. But everso often I get artifacts around moving objects (block/ghost artifacts) - Maybe I'm being OCD about all this, but there is nothing wrong with wanting perfection ;)

My render stats are fine, nice flat lines, no dropped frames, but I still get artifacts.

J.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Post-processing necessity?

I'm also thinking about exchanging my HD5450 with a 6570. One main Question do i need GDDR5? Oder is DDR3 enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom