PowerDVD 10 cannot playback DVD's stored on the harddrive (1 Viewer)

jedney

Portal Member
October 30, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
EDIT: 23-May-10: This has now been fixed in Build 1705 (14-May-10).

EDIT 8-April-10: This has now been confirmed by Cyberlink as being a bug in PowerDVD 10. This will affect anyone who uses the command line to play a ripped DVD - this includes using the Windows Explorer "Open With..." right click, and people using PDVD as an External Player in Mediaportal. I will try and remember to update this post/remove this line when the bug is resolved.

Hi,

Due to some DVD playback issues within Media Portal I've recently switched to using PowerDVD 9 as an external player for DVD. Using Intelliremote I've mapped the Stop button and Return button to Alt+F4 so I can seamlessly close PowerDVD and return to MediaPortal. This was working very well until 2 days ago, when I decided to upgrade to PowerDVD 10. Now whenever I open a DVD I get an error message telling me "No disk in drive x:" and then it just sits at the default skin.

I believe this is a bug in PowerDVD 10, that when a VIDEO_TS.IFO file is passed in through the command line it mistakingly thinks it is playing a DVD and looks for the disk in the drive.

I've logged a job with Cyberlink support, I will post my progress here so people can monitor. I'm guessing this will be a show stopper for many people switching to PowerDVD 10.

Cheers,
Jon.

Me to Cyberlink:

I've just purchased PowerDVD 10 and I'm having problems getting it to playback DVD's stored on my harddrive. I use MediaPortal (home theatre software) which when I select a movie it calls "PowerDvd10.exe D:\pathtoDVD\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO" under all previous versions of PowerDVD this worked fine. Under PowerDVD 10 I get an error saying "No disk in drive x:" (where x is the drive letter of my Blu-Ray player). When I click OK, nothing happens. I see the same behaviour if I double click the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in Windows Explorer. Can you please tell me how I can work around this as PowerDVD is useless to me with this restriction?

Thanks,
Jon Edney.

Cyberlink to Me:

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for writing back.

I understand that you are getting "no disc in drive" error message while playing DVD files in the PowerDVD 10 software.

The issue that you are facing can be caused by one of the following factors :

(1) DVD-ROM issue
(2) DVD title issue
(3) PowerDVD software issue

Please kindly try the following actions to verify the possible cause of the problem :

(1) Make sure you're using a DVD-ROM drive, instead of CD-ROM drive for playback of DVD discs.

(2) Use "Disc mode" to play a general commercial DVD title, and then try different discs to see whether the same error message occurs.

In addition, please open "Windows Explorer", check in the drive where the DVD disc was inserted, and see whether the files on the disc can be recognized correctly with valid formats, and also with a file size rather than "0". If you have multiple drives, please make sure that the drive in which disc is inserted is selected under " select source" in PowerDVD.

(3) If the same problem remains, please visit your DVD-ROM manufacturer's official website to update the firmware for your DVD-ROM model.

(4) Upgrade to latest version of DirectX.

(5) If the actions above did not succeed in resolving the problem, then please follow the steps below to uninstall PowerDVD and then re-install it :
(a) Start --> Programs --> Cyberlink Power DVD (select to "uninstall" it)
(b) Start --> Run (key in "regedit") --> HKEY_Current_User --> Software --> Cyberlink --> delete "PowerDVD" & "PDVD" folders.
(c) Start --> Run (key in "regedit") --> HKEY_Local_Machine --> Software --> Cyberlink --> delete "PowerDVD" & "PDVD" folders.
(d) Search and delete folder named Cyberlink and PowerDVD, if exists. Restart your system.
(e) Re-install PowerDVD.

(6) To avoid any compatibility issues, please close all other software and utility applications including virus scans, screen saver and instant messaging software before you launch PowerDVD.

(7) Try using other DVD titles using PowerDVD and Windows Media Player (separately).

(8) Also try to play media files from the local hard disk drive using the PowerDVD software.

If the issue still persists, please let us know the results (whether you are able to play other DVDs and are you able to play the problem DVDs using Windows Media Player and also whether you are able to play movie files of the local hard disk drive using the PowerDVD software.)

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

Me to Cyberlink:

Thank you for your quick reply, however I would respectfully draw your attention back to my initial query: "I've just purchased PowerDVD 10 and I'm having problems getting it to playback DVD's stored on my harddrive."

I believe what I am experiencing is a bug in PowerDVD 10 where you cannot open PowerDVD using the commandline like previous versions have supported. It should be possible (and is possible in Version 7, 8 and 9 of PowerDVD to open a DVD which has been copied to the harddrive). This used to be achieved by running PowerDVD9.exe followed by the name of the VIDEO_TS.INF file. This no longer works, and instead asks for a DVD to be inserted in the DVD drive. I do not require a DVD - all the files are on the harddrive.

I can play this DVD by switching to Video mode in PowerDVD 10, selecting the folder the DVD has been ripped to and pressing the Play button, so there is no issue with my DVD files or compatibility with PowerDVD.

It is simply a bug in PowerDVD 10; if you open PowerDVD and pass in a VIDEO_TS.IFO file to play then you are incorrectly told "No disk inserted". Can this please be escaled to your software engineering team?

Thanks,
Jon.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Which part of Hard drive did they not get then ;)

Good find, hopefully they will restore the command line options, and just to be clear I understood your report to them, so have a feeling whoever answered was on auto pilot :(

In2Photos

Portal Member
    September 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Any response?

I'm running into the same problem with BDs ripped to the hard drive. :(

mpwul

Portal Member
    March 30, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have upgraded to PD10 Ultra as well. On the "Video" Tab - whereever I click nothing seems to happen.
    Same goes for Music tab.

Cannot play from harddisk either. Default reply from Cyberlink is to get the latest video-driver, even though you
    tell them that the latest drivers are in fact installed.
    After some time you end up in uninstalling PD10 installing PD9 try to find a more recent driver, re-installing
    a Windows image (that does not contain any PD version) try this-try that and you find yourself beta testing
    PD10, submitting error logs etc.

Think PD10 has been launched to quickly, maybe in an attempt to stay ahead of WinDVD Pro 2010.

Gonna ask my money back. Have installed WinDVD Pro - it looks much straightforward than PD, it doesnot
    bother you with ads like this Movie Live (s**t) that cannot be disabled.

Have not yet compared these products more thoroughly though.

Timebeing I'll go back to 'good old' PD9.

Maybe after half a year and a dozen patches PD10 is fixed to run properly...

==

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have upgraded to PD10 Ultra as well. On the "Video" Tab - whereever I click nothing seems to happen.
    Same goes for Music tab.

Strange, no issue here with local files on HDD. Both Video & Music play fine in PDVD10.

Attachments

• PDVD10 Video Tab.png
      PDVD10 Video Tab.png
      58.9 KB
    • PDVD10 Play MKV from HDD.png
      PDVD10 Play MKV from HDD.png
      101.4 KB
    • PDVD10 Play Music from HDD.png
      PDVD10 Play Music from HDD.png
      73.5 KB

mpwul

Portal Member
    March 30, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Guess you are lucky

With me it is like this...

PowerDVD10-2-error-300310.jpg
    PowerDVD10-3-error-300310.jpg
    PowerDVD10-1-error-300310.jpg

Win7 64bit ATI4850 all with the latest drivers.
    No problems with PD9.

In2Photos

Portal Member
    September 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I asked for my money back from PDVD. Installed TMT3 trial version and all is well.

mpwul

Portal Member
    March 30, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    TMT3 seems to have an issue with sound in its trial version. No sound when playing DVD from HD. No matter what DVD, golden oldies, new ones.

TMT3 Gold usd 60, Platinum USD 80, is an expensive gamble.... ;)

I asked for my money back from PDVD. Installed TMT3 trial version and all is well.

Oh .. why TMT3 and not -say- WinDVD ?

Just curious to know...
    cause I am puzzling : back to PDVD9 or WinDVD Pro 2010..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom