PowerDVD 7.3 The Ultimate Codec (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Discovered by accident that i could not use Vista's Movie maker to produce a DVD, could edit the movie and save as a project, but every time tried to BURN a dvd, DVD maker stopped working.

Looked on the internet as you do and found that under the options there is the facility to disable various filters that movie maker has access to, FFDShow was one of these, anyway to cut a long story short the only way i could get Movie maker working properly was to uninstall FFDShow, now found my various .mp4 movies would not play.

Decided to uninstall anything that may have had codecs attached ie roxio9 etc (hated it anyway, bad as nero7).

Uninstalled PowerDVD7.2

Cleaned up any leftover dredges using Filmerit which got rid of any registry settings left by uninstalled codecs.

Rebooted, reinstalled PowerDVD7.2 and updated to 7.3 and now found without anything else installed ALL my Video filetypes (Divx, Xvid, MP4) will now play fine in both WMP, MCE and more importantly in MP.

Movie Maker works fine as well so i am completely HAPPY. :D

So the point is, always thought FFDShow was quite a good alternative to so called Codec Packs, but it can screw things up that you may wish to use as well.

Now just got to find out why my Audigy4 card is slowing Vista's Shutdown to a snails pace (3 minutes with card installed, 20 seconds without).

See You Around Guy's

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I've followed your advice, uninstalling ffdshow and installing PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra... but now i can't play xvid, divx... in MP (it works fine in WMP)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    patricon

I apologise, maybe i wrote this too soon, after a reboot this morning now cannot play certain files neither in MP or MCE, will see why over the weekend.

:sorry:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    This is crazy, had this tested using MCE and MP and all was fine until the next day (standby overnight).

Windows seems to have forgotten which codecs to use and tried following my original uninstall\clean codec references\reinstall and still nothing.

Cheeses me of that PowerDVD is capable of playing all these files, but is not used.

Now wondering if PDVD does not like other programs using its codecs.

Very interested in this thread about choosing which codec plays which type of file, would be nice if this was a option within windows as well.

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    This is crazy, had this tested using MCE and MP and all was fine until the next day (standby overnight).

Windows seems to have forgotten which codecs to use and tried following my original uninstall\clean codec references\reinstall and still nothing.

Cheeses me of that PowerDVD is capable of playing all these files, but is not used.

Now wondering if PDVD does not like other programs using its codecs.

Very interested in this thread about choosing which codec plays which type of file, would be nice if this was a option within windows as well.

PowerDVD is NOT capable of playbacking foreign filetypes like divx or wmv or something like that internally. IF it plays it it uses the available directshowfilters wich you, as you mentioned, completly wiped out.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    PowerDVD is NOT capable of playbacking foreign filetypes like divx

Amazingly PowerDVD 7.3 installs Divx along with a few other codecs, that i would not naturally think of as being part of it's package.

Thats why this is bugging me.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom