"PowerDVD codec" (1 Viewer)

jwdaigle

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Home Country
    I am hoping this isnt too stupid a question :)

In my travels in the forums, I come across "I am using the PowerDVD codec" quite often. I can only assume this is related to PowerDVD 8 by Cyberlink.

But I havent seen anything on the cyberlink site that talks about the codec only.

I guess what confuses me is that I have zero interest in running PowerDVD instead of Media Portal.

Do I have to fully install PowerDVD to get the codec(s)?
    I have a DG45, which is supposed to have very good hardware acceleration. I am currently using CoreAVC+VMR on Vista32SP1 (and love it). Is the value proposition that using hardware acceleration will give me better video quality?
    Finally, will this allow me to use Master Audio and/or TrueHD? I am currently only playing AC3/DTS audio tracks.

Thanks to anyone clearing up my confusions,

Joe

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    You are right in assuming that the codecs come with PDVD. So you would have to install PDVD on your PC (whether you use it or not).

I cant say that you will get noticeable improvement in picture quality, but what you will get is much lower CPU usage.

As for TrueHD - I think that may be possible via analog outputs, but not SPDIF (SPDIF is downsampled ans sent as TrueAudio 2.0)

jwdaigle

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Ah, OK, thats what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

I would need to buy PowerDVD, install it, and then only use the codec(s). Im hoping there is a free trial so I can see if it improves anything. Reducing/minimizing CPU speed is a dont care for me - the CPU will be sitting there doing nothing if it isnt decoding a movie.

If PowerDVD doesnt improve video quality, I wont bother switching to using the PDVD codecs.

On the TrueHD question, the board I am using (DG45ID) has built in HDMI and also sends audio over the HDMI. Since HDMI can handle the bandwidth requirements, I wonder if it will send TrueHD and Master Audio via HDMI.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom