[Approved] Powerscheduler network monitoring (share + traffic) (1 Viewer)

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi!

Here are two patches (compatible to each other) regarding powerscheduler. One was made by JBravo here in the forum the other one was made by don't know anymore (sorry). I've modified both so that they're compatible to each other.

shared patch:
    This one offers the possibility to monitor windowsshares - you can configure, share, user, host or a combination of all.

network monitor:
    see: [PATCH] Power Scheduler TV Server plugin - Page 5 - MediaPortal Forum

Bot are working fine since 3 month in my htpc.

Stefan

Attachments

• shared.patch
      30.6 KB
    • network_monitoring.patch
      30.7 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    shared patch:
    This one offers the possibility to monitor windowsshares - you can configure, share, user, host or a combination of all.
    hmm.... why would i want to "monitor" a windowsshare?

For users who don't have media / TVE3 server running all the time it would be beneficial. Users would be able to watch complete movie from the network share without server shutting down :p. Of course as we currently don't support wake on lan for multiseats in TVE3 its pretty conflicting patch / feature to have.

As first step we would have to allow WOL to be used to wake up the TVE3 server by the multiseat clients to make any sense with this patch.

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    tourettes
    WOL is not required to to wake the TV server from standby (s3, s4). Just configure the network card to wake on network traffic instead (Device Manager->Network Adapters->YourCard->Properties->PowerManagement). When the MP Client tries to access the TV server, the TV server magically wakes up :D

Both patches are of course also beneficial if no MP clients are attached to the TV server, the server is then kept alive as long as networks shares are in use or network traffic exists.

I have been running with the network monitor patch the last 6 months, and standby in multiseat has been working flawlessy.

I just noticed that this minor fix https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/submit-patches-mediaportal-tv-server-etc-325/power-scheduler-keep-alive-fix-60782/ was included here as well. Good, since both patches are required.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    tourettes
    jbravo is correct - i also use TV3 and my server is normally in standby - works fine here.

JBravo
    yeah i included it cause it is needed :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    @tourettes
    WOL is not required to to wake the TV server from standby (s3, s4). Just configure the network card to wake on network traffic instead (Device Manager->Network Adapters->YourCard->Properties->PowerManagement). When the MP Client tries to access the TV server, the TV server magically wakes up :D

Its not a good sollution as all network trafic that is sent with server's IP adress will wake up the server. There are lot of "noise" in normal networking environments that would cause false wakeups. So a proper support for WOL is required.

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I must say that I really appreciate that all traffic directed to the server's IP wakes the server. This causes the the server to wake up when I want to access windows shares, FTP, SSHd etc. My server is not dedicated for MP, but multi purpose. I believe this is the case for many other MP users as well.

You are correct that there are "noise" in network, this causes the server to wake for no particular reason. However the server will go to sleep again. At least I think this is much better than having the server on 24/7.

As I see it this patch would be great for many users even though WOL is not supported. I agree that WOL would be nice to have, but in my opinion it's not required.

regards
    /jonas

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    @tourettes

Its not a good sollution as all network trafic that is sent with server's IP adress will wake up the server. There are lot of "noise" in normal networking environments that would cause false wakeups. So a proper support for WOL is required.
    Indeed. This "solution" smells like a hack. ;)

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Wouldn't call standard MS Windows functionality a hack...or perhaps I would :)

As I see it WOL is only required to start the server when it's shutdown. This would be a rare use case...

I don't see a problem to intergrate theese patches, and introduce full WOL support at a later stage. Even without WOL this would be a great addition to multiseat users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom