Completed Pretty good (and cheap) HTPC (1 Viewer)

reve80

December 8, 2007
Hey guys,

after some weeks reading serveral htpc articles I decided to build one on my own.
My goal was to keep the project cheap and powerful. Here is my Config:

- Zignum Sphere Case
- ASRock Mobo 4core1333 - fullhd with integrated ATI RS600
- Intel Pentium E2140 2x1.6GHz
- 2x 1024MB Infineon DDR2
- 320GB Seagate HDD
- LG GDR-H20 DVD Drive

- WinTV Nova-S Plus with Remote*

The Trick is that the CPU actually is a full Conroe in 65nm just with 1MB L2 Cach instead of 4MB
This configuration came about 300 € and seems to be quite powerful.
HD-Movies play flawlessly and I'm going to buy a HD-DVD / Blu Ray combo the next months, hopefully
the RS600 is strong enough to play HDCP protected movies from BD.

* My plan was to use my old Nova-S which was placed in my Desktop for the last year but came across
1 problem. The Signum case is only able to hold half profile pci cards and the nova just came out to be too big.
I didn't know about the pci slots as I ordered the case. It wasn't described in any product description.
Now I'm going to change to the new terratec S2 HD which is a pretty small card with hd capabilities.
That one should hopefully fit in the Zignum case.

gingertom

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2006
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    England England
    That looks like to good motherboard. Keep us all up to date with your findings. I might even change out my motherboard for that one

reve80

December 8, 2007
    The HTPC does his work very well until now. The only thing is that the case cannot be closed as long as
    the Nova S+ is still in there.

The TV I'm using is a Toshiba 32" Regza LCD connected via HDMI. At the the moment I'm trying to fine tune the picture using ffdshow denoising and sharpening. The CPU keeps it's promises using the filter. The only thing that does not work correctly is tv post-processing. The picture stocks when I activate that service but get's back to normal after a few seconds. HD-Movies play flawlessly and without any glitches. None HDCP protected that is until now. I'm very interested about the performance when it comes to play HDCP - BD. But that's a few month until I can afford that Drive. (Have to ask wife and so on...)

The MoBo is a nice one. Thank's god for the integrated graphics. I don't want to know how much a low profile, coolerless pci/e graphiccard is :)

Last thing: I'm focusing on saving energy and to make that thing as quiet as possible.
    Next what's on the list is the Zalman CNPS9500LED to get the std. Intel cooler off board.

reve80

December 8, 2007
    Last week I upgraded the TV-Card to a Terratec S2 HD which can process DVB-S2
    First I had some problems getting TV to work until I installed the CoreAVC h264 codec and deactivated
    some functions in VMR9 Settings of MP. HDTV and HD movies playback is pretty good and without any stuttering.
    But I have to admit that finding the correct configuration in MP was a hard thing.
    The next thing will be the BD-HD Drive. I will update asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom