Preventing powerscheduler plugin to standby system when sharing files throug net (1 Viewer)

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Little silly (or not) question... Is there any way to tell Powerscheduler plugin in TV-Server not to go on standby while the system is sharing files through network? I've got all my media in living room HTPC, and sometimes I acccess music and films with other PC at home... The problem is that after the configured timeout, powerscheduler tells the system go on standby, no matter what's happening with network activity...

I see there's option to prevent standby by monitoring different processes... but network shares doesn't correspond to a any single process I can use... :(

bye!

PD: I was used to configure Vista to go on standby (not powerscheduler), and had no problems while sharing files, but then, I had no way to tell the system to wakeup for TV-Server recordings...

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi peque,

I wanted to share my setup as this may perhaps help you.

I use a scheduling tool called 4 The Record, see For The Record, which has a plugin for MP. Using this tool I have disabled PowerScheduler and rely entirely on WinXP standby/resume mechanism. 4TR will schedule recordings based on rules what program to record, rather than selecting the exact program to record.

4TR is a very powerful tool since it updates the list of recording as soon as there is a new EPG loaded, based on the rules I mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps!

/Peter

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Do you mean that For The Record is able to wake system for recordings in spite of not being responsible for standby/resume tasks? I'm quite satisfied with PVR inside MP... Anyway, I'll take a look.

Thank you.

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Peque,

Yes, 4TR will wake-up the system for recordings, with WinXP sending the shutdown/standby request.

/Peter

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I'm under Vista... and it's known that Vista has way different implementation of standby/resume jobs... :(

I'd like to keep MP as scheduler for recordings anyway.

Thanks for your help!

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Judging from the feedback we get from our users, For The Record seems to work just as well on Vista as it does on XP with regards to standby/resume.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In fact I would go further than dvdfreak, and say it works better with Vista, especially if you use Windows itself, ie outlook or just moving files in explorer, as it respects mouse\keyboard inputs to stop it shutting down unexpectedly, which powerscheduler has a habit of doing.

Now about that release solving the timeshifting :)

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I'm a very curious guy... so... I'll definetly try FTR! :) We'll see if it fits my needs.

It's so dificult to to keep stability in a "production" system that I was trying not to add more software...

BTW... I think PowerScheduler should go on and implement this little things... Or maybe let the system keep responsibility for standby/resume jobs, but be aware and be able to wake system for recordings or EPG Grabbing... ¿?

bye!

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Wow! I'll try!

Thank you so much ronzelver. I came across that mod from Disaster but didn't see that feature!

bye!

PD: About 4TR, I use XFace skin, and there's no .xml and media files for it... :( Great piece of software, anyway! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom