Problem - DTS via SPDIF on GA-MA78GM-S2H in Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) (1 Viewer)

jet70

Portal Pro
March 7, 2009
Home Country
England England
Help!

I am trying to get SPDIF passthrough working with my external processor and am not having any luck with DTS although 5.1 is fine.

Initially I tried getting this to work with the default device driver installed by Windows 7.

In the Windows sound utility - see settings.jpg I try and test DTS Audio and Dolby Digital Audio,

Dolby Digital Audio (DDA) via SPDIF provides a solid lock to my processor.

DTS is detected but it does not provide a solid lock and is flaky.

In MePO using FFDShow or AC3Filter using SPDIF passthrough, DDA is perfect, but DTS is flaky and is weak and unreliable, goes silent when seeking and general is very 'hit and miss'.

I then thought that this might be because the driver is not Realtek (the sounchip on the Motherbaord) so I downloaded the newest Realtek HD drivers and installed.

Again, I did the test in the Windows sound utility. Again, DDA locks perfectly and DTS is detected by the processor but is weak and does not lock.

If I try FFDShow or AC3Filter in MePo, I get no signal whatsoever passed to the processor.

Ironically, the Realtek driver is worse than the Microsoft!

Has anyone got any bright ideas. I can only think I have not quite got the right driver or its Windows 7. This is not a MePo issue since it seems to be flaky when testing raw in Windows.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    618.9 KB
  • settings2.jpg
    settings2.jpg
    612.1 KB

Berns

Portal Pro
July 27, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi.
Though my motherboard is completely different from yours, I have decided to use the HDMI link between the PC and my amplifier to transport the sound.
There were 2 reasons:
1) SP/Dif output from my PC was perceived as stereo when MePo was not sending any sound. When MePo started producing sound, the amplifier had to switch to 5.1 surround. This resulted in an annoying pop (the end of the cricket sound when going through menus) instead of hearing the complete sound
2) On odd occasions sound would be unavailable and a reboot of the PC would be needed to solve the issue

In my original SP/Dif optical based setup (HDMI to TV screen for image only and SP/DIF optical to amplifier for sound only) I used the SP/Dif option as the default one. (Yours currently is set to HDMI, so maybe just setting the SP/Dif as default might maybe solve something).

Please don't see me as the expert here, I'm just sharing my experience and hope it will help you.

jet70

Portal Pro
March 7, 2009
Home Country
England England
Yes, I'll try and change the default.

Unfortunately my processor does not accept HDMI which is why I am anxious to get this working.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom