[OTHER] Problem since upgrading from 1366x768 to 1920x1080 (1 Viewer)

-=DeNMaN=-

Portal Member
November 9, 2006
Home Country
Now this is a weird one which someone might beable to answer but first some setup details

AMD dual core running at 2500Mhz
Nvidia 8600GT (using latest drivers 285.xx)
Windows 7 x64
upgraded from a old 37" 1366x768 res TV to a Samsung 55" 1920x1200 res TV 60 hertz

Connected via DVI to HDMI converted cable and using CoreAVC with CUDA support

The videio quality is amazing but i get some stuttering when their is alot of movement on the screen and it looks like it's dropping frames.

I've done Shift + 1 while watching and i get next to no dropped frames (only afew when it first starts then the number doesn't change)

It seems to do this on 1080p, 720p and even lower content. The CPU util only sits around 5 to 20% while playing and ram is around 50% utilised.

now i thought the GPU would beable to process this amount of data and im guessing it is something to do with the bandwidth going to the TV it's self. Anybody heard of this issue before?

Sometimes it can go bad with not much movement on the screen then the scene's changed on the program and it's silky smooth again.. It's starting to do my head in :confused:

Oh.. one other thing.. I've tried VLC, Media Player with Win7 and it's doing hte same thing. But i did notice that once it started to decrease the window size of the item playing, it was starting to get smoother

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just as a experiment, can you try outputting to tv at 720p, i know my daughters 7600gt struggles at full hd.

Worth a try just to eliminate as a possible cause.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Agree with Ray - it's probably the 8600GT GPU struggling with the load at 1080p screen size (especially if it gets smoother running in a smaller window). The stuttering doesn't show up in dropped frame count because it happens at the final rendering stage in the video card.

I used to run a 9500GT (basically a rebadged 8600GT) and it struggled with 1080p display at 60Hz playing HD content (esp. 1080i) - upgraded to a GT430 and it's fine.

Tony

-=DeNMaN=-

Portal Member
    November 9, 2006
    Home Country
    Well this is wierd, I can tell it only happens on one channel via TV which is a SD channel and some media files, I watched a movie just before in full 1080p MKV and it was silky smooth. I fired up EVGA precision to look at the GPU utilisation and on the VID running nicely, it was running at 60% where the files with stutter in lots of movement are only around 25% util on the GPU..

I tried some Apple trailers in MOV and MP4 files and their fine as well in 1080p.

Ill try 720p again but im betting it will work.

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    You could try the LAV decoder with CUDA. It might even be worth dropping back to a pre 275 Nvidia driver & get the legacy LAV CUVID decoder as I've found that less intensive on the GPU.

EDIT: What channels are you watching? I thought CoreAVC was H.264 only? Most TV here is MPEG2??

-=DeNMaN=-

Portal Member
    November 9, 2006
    Home Country
    the channel i find it's worse on is Channel GO!.. but i think it's doing the same on Channel Nine as well..

Was thinking of trying my old boxed GF280GTX but i dont think the PSU will hold out with it

ok.. Just tried running it in 720p res and the problems still their.. I think it's just more apparent with this new screen since it has clear motion rate of 600hz so i've most likely always had it

I tried a high bitrate MKV of TRON and it's working as it should.

I usually hate playing around with codec's as when you fix one type of problem, you end up breaking something else.

ATM im running k-lite 7.1 full with coreAVC 2.5.1 and since im running Win7 x64, i've re-registered the MONOGRAM AAC Decoder dll's.. Also have installed Cyberlink PowerDVD 9

in MP config my video codecs are as follows

MPEG-2 Video: Cyperlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)
    H.264 Video: CoreAVC Video Decoder
    MPEG / AC3 Audio decoder: fddshow Audio Decoder
    AAC audio decoder: MONOGRAM AAC Decoder
    Audio renderer: Default DirectSound

with TV Codecs it's all the same but with

DD+ audio decoder: ffdshow Audio Decoder

Video renderer is EVR.

Im thinking it's the mpeg which is the problem here so can anyone recommend us a good combo to try?

Thanks

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Yeah, try LAV Filters for MPEG2, & set the audio decoder back to MPC-MPA (SPDIF passthrough if required) or LAV. PowerDVD isn't great for our TV as it can often detect the wrong framerate & display at half rate (25 instead of 50).

Configure LAV with CUVID adaptive, 50/60p, high-quality processing (may need to turn off HQ processing if it stutters).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom