Problem using external DVD Player to play mounted iso's (1 Viewer)

mmoore99

Portal Member
December 9, 2006
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: Project Mayhem
Windows Version: Vista Home Premium
CPU Type: AMD X2 6000+
HDD: Samsung 500GB
Memory: 1.5GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
Motherboard Chipset: ATI
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: ATI X1250 - Integrated
Video Card Driver: ATI 8.252.0.0
Sound Card: Onboard RealTek
Sound Card AC3: Onboard RealTek
Sound Card Driver: 5.12.1.3630
1. TV Card: none
1. TV Card Type: n/a
1. TV Card Driver: n/a
2. TV Card: n/a
2. TV Card Type: n/a
2. TV Card Driver: n/a
3. TV Card: n/a
3. TV Card Type: n/a
3. TV Card Driver: n/a
4. TV Card: n/a
4. TV Card Type: n/a
4. TV Card Driver: n/a
MPEG2 Video Codec: various
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Maxtop
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: USB-UIRT
TV: Hitatchi S65S500
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

I am having a problem getting MediaPortal to use PowerDVD to play iso image files mounted by Daemon Tools. When I attempt to play an iso MP is using Daemon Tools to successfully mount the image, however MP always uses the internal player to play the iso even though I have "Use external player" checked in the DVD Player configuration settings.

Can someone give me a suggestion as to what can be done to resolve this?

Thanks.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    You DO have the link TO your external DVD's .exe listed in the MP Configuration? Does PowerDVD play the mounted files outside of MP? I had issue with getting this handoff working as well and decided the internal player would meet my needs. I only wish there were some way to configure forward skips seperate from backward skip times. (e.g. 3 minutes forward, 30 seconds backward) ...and I know I can press the button repeatedly -- that's what I do!

Using an external player is confusing for ME when it comes to configuring the remote control, too. Another reason I stuck with the internal.

WHAT is it you like about PowerDVD that you want to use it instead of the internal?

Oh, and it may be that you have to pass the file as an argument on that link... I've written elsewhere just how clunky getting the external player is... hopefully we can BOTH learn about HOW to get it working correctly. :)

cguy123

January 4, 2008
    New York
    Home Country
    Guys,

For all general intents and purposes, the internal player works well. However, I use theatertek dvd for both video and dvd playback. it's arguably the best out there and the clean user-interface is exactly perfect for htpc use.

I've also followed the tutorial on the avs forum on setting up ffdshow to re-size and clean up dvd's and video's, now I get upscaled dvd's and divx playback on my 1920x1028 hd monitor. Truly awesome. and it works seamlessly with MP.

Here's what i did to get it working.

Make sure you check the box for external player and enter the full path name to the player's exe, then in the command line box, you have to enter in %filename%, you can do this in both the dvd player field, and the movie player field, if you want to use an external player for both.

Make sure also that you have daemon tools setup correctly under the general tab.

Good luck!

- cguy

jimz06

Portal Member
    July 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Guys,

For all general intents and purposes, the internal player works well. However, I use theatertek dvd for both video and dvd playback. it's arguably the best out there and the clean user-interface is exactly perfect for htpc use.

I've also followed the tutorial on the avs forum on setting up ffdshow to re-size and clean up dvd's and video's, now I get upscaled dvd's and divx playback on my 1920x1028 hd monitor. Truly awesome. and it works seamlessly with MP.

Here's what i did to get it working.

Make sure you check the box for external player and enter the full path name to the player's exe, then in the command line box, you have to enter in %filename%, you can do this in both the dvd player field, and the movie player field, if you want to use an external player for both.

Make sure also that you have daemon tools setup correctly under the general tab.

Good luck!

- cguy

Are you able to close out Theatertek and return to the main Mediaportal GUI? When I exit from Theatertek, I obviously return to the Mediaportal application but the video buffer doesn't seem to clear and I'm stuck looking at the Theatertek wallpaper. This forces me to close out of Mediaportal completely (Alt-F4) to clear the TT wallpaper.

cguy123

January 4, 2008
    New York
    Home Country
    Strange behavior

Jim,

That seems like kind of strange behavior to me. Maybe a driver issue. When I exit theatertek (using keyboard shortcut 'x'), I get a clean screen and right back into MP. I've not seen theatertek not clear the screen in the way you describe.

Hope this helps,

- Bob

jimz06

Portal Member
    July 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Bob,
    Thanks for the response. I was beginning to think that it may be a video card driver issue also. I've now noticed the same behavior when I use MP to launch BeyondTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom