Problem with BBC One HD and BBC HD with DVXA (1 Viewer)

Quake505

Portal Pro
May 23, 2009
I have tried many different HW CODECs to try and get BBC One HD and BBC HD playing via MP without any problems on my HTPC and remote Client with NVidia, and as of yet have not had any success (but tolerate 1).

Some background, BBC One HD and BBC HD on 28.2 have two main differences from all other HD channels on 28.2, the broadcast is at 1440x1080 res (1920x1080 for all other channels) and a Variable Bit Rate encoding (constant bit rate for all other channels).

Info can be found here BBC HD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never had a problem with BBC HD before the Variable Bit Rate encoding change on June 2010.

All my issues are on Live or recorded BBC HD programs.

Here are some PC specs: -

Client 1
WinXP SP3, E6700, 2GB, NVidia 9400 imbedded.

Client 2
Win 7, Intel Atom 330, 4GB, ION imbedded.

Both have the latest 266.58 NVidia drivers

I have an ATI / AMD GPU PC (winXP and Win7) that doesn’t seem to have the same issue, I will need to perform more testing to be completely sure.

Here is a list of all the CODECs I have tried.

1. Arcsoft Video Decoder (2.27.280.98)
Works well but sometimes will have a block picture (seems to be images from previous frames) that can be fixed by skipping 15sec Forward or backwards, the skipping may need to be done a couple of times.

2. DIVX H.264 Decoder (1.2.1.0 latest codec pack)
MP will crash with an application run time error after a short period or changing channels from or too another HD channel (ITV HD for example).

3. COREAVC Video Decoder (2.0.0)
Blank Screen when changing channels from or too another HD channel (ITV HD for example).

4. CYBERLINK H264/AVC Decoder (2.4.0.2310 comes with PDVD 10)
Dropping frame rate, Crash

5. FFDSHOW DXVA Video Decoder (1.1.3476 comes with rev3721)
This version would not start a graph, an older version crashed when changing channels from or too another HD channel (ITV HD for example). Sometimes would show the BBC HD channels in the wrong Res when switch from a different HD channel.

Below is some testing I have done, logs attached (please note that ITV HD had the wrong PMT for all tests that was fixed by a rescan of the TP), all tests were done on Client 1 above: -

Test 1 (Arcsoft)
1. Start MP
2. Opened BBC One SD (14:45)
3. Changed Channel to BBC One HD (14:46)
4. Changed Channel to BBC HD (14:47)
• Blocky picture
5. Changed Channel to ITV HD (14:48)
6. Changed Channel to BBC One SD (14:49)
7. Closed MP

Test 2 (Arcsoft)
1. Start MP
2. Opened BBC One HD
• Blocky picture
3. Closed MP

Test 3 (DIVX)
1. Start MP
2. Opened BBC One SD (14:59)
3. Changed Channel to BBC One HD (15:00)
4. Changed Channel to BBC HD (15:01)
• Picture Freeze with correct sound still playing
5. Closed MP

Test 4 (DIVX)
1. Start MP
2. Opened BBC One SD (15:05)
3. Changed Channel to BBC One HD (15:06)
4. Changed Channel to BBC HD (15:08)
5. Changed Channel to ITV HD (15:09)
• Picture Freeze with no sound, closed MP through task manager.

Test 5 (DIVX)
1. Start MP
2. Opened BBC One HD
• CRASH with Application POP UP message and Run Time Error message (2 messages)

Test 6 (PowerDVD)
1. Start MP
2. Opened BBC One SD (16:22)
3. Changed Channel to BBC One HD (16:23)
• Skipping / changing frame rate
4. Changed Channel to BBC HD (16:24)
Skipping / changing frame rate
5. Changed Channel to ITV HD (16:25)
6. Changed Channel to BBC One SD (16:26)
7. Changed Channel to LUX
8. Changed Channel to BBC HD
9. Closed MP

Test 7 (PowerDVD)
1. Start MP
2. Opened BBC One HD
Crash, Application POP UP message forced closure

Test 8 (PowerDVD)
1. Start MP
2. Opened BBC HD
Skipping / changing frame rate
3. Closed MP

Test 9 (Core)
1. Start MP
2. Opened BBC One SD (16:40)
3. Changed Channel to BBC One HD (16:41)
Blank Picture
4. Changed Channel to BBC HD (16:42)
5. Changed Channel to ITV HD (16:43)
Blank Picture and No Sound
6. Changed Channel to BBC One SD (16:44)
7. Closed MP

Test 10 (Core)
1. Start MP
2. Opened BBC HD
Blocky Picture
3. Closed MP

I will be checking my ATI / AMD Client tomorrow.
I would like to stress that I have no issue with any other HD or SD channels.

I have attached the MP Log files.

Hope somebody has some advice on which Codec to use.

Also, I would like to know if other users watch BBC HD using 9400 or ION chipsets with no issues.

Quake505

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: WinXP 32bit Sp3
CPU Type: Intel E6700
HDD: Hitachi 2TB x2
Memory: 2GB
Motherboard: 9400 Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
Video Card: On Board
Video Card Driver: 258.95
Sound Card: on board NVidia HDMI
Sound Card AC3: HDMI
Sound Card Driver: 266.58
1. TV Card: TBS 6980
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S, DVB-T and DVB-S2
1. TV Card Driver: 2.0.0.14
2. TV Card: TBS 6980
2. TV Card Type: DVB-S, DVB-T and DVB-S2
2. TV Card Driver: 2.0.0.14
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Divx
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Divx
h.264 Video Codec: Divx
Satelite/CableTV Provider: 28.2E
HTPC Case: Noname ATX
Cooling: 3 x fan
Power Supply: 250W ATX
Remote: Genius
TV: Daewoo
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Quake505

Portal Pro
May 23, 2009
Tests on Client 2 (Win 7)

Codec’s

Arcsoft Video Decoder
DIVX H.264 Decoder
FFDSHOW DXVA Video Decoder

Have all failed in the same way that they did on Client 1, but the Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder works well.

I tried this codec in the past and it failed (dropping frames) but this may have been resolved by changes\upgrades I have made to the Audio Codec or NVidia drivers.

I have performed the normal tests, SD – BBC HD – BBC One HD – ITV HD – BBC HD – Lux TV HD to BBC One HD – SD, Also BBC HD for a long period of time (10 Min), and didn’t have a problem with live or prerecorded programes.

So this means my Client 2 is fine, now is there a Codec that works with WinXP?

I don’t really want to spend £200 notes to upgrade two WinXP Clients.

Regards,

Quake505

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    @Quake505:

Latest CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD10) 1.0.0.2229 fixed playback of VBR BBC HD.

If you want to try it you can use *unlocked* SAF5.

Any way to get the latest PDVD without updating/reinstalling SAF?

i have SAF 5 (an older version), and everything is working perfectly, and made some FFDshow tweaks etc. So i would like to just update the PDVD codecs and leave the rest.

Oh and in reply to the original post:

I use SAF5 and CoreAVC and both BBC HD and BBC One HD work fine for me - haven't had any black screens.

Quake505

Portal Pro
    May 23, 2009
    @Quake505:

Latest CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD10) 1.0.0.2229 fixed playback of VBR BBC HD.

If you want to try it you can use *unlocked* SAF5.

Thanks Hoborg,

1.0.0.2229 seems fine on my XP client, I'm doing some more testing but it has passed all my quick and easy tests.

Looking around the net, there seems to be a newier version (1.0.0.2503), but I downloaded and installed 1.0.0.2229 on your advise.

:D

@revs

I've never really like the picture that I get with CoreAVC in CUDA. especailly with live events.

Q505

Quake505

Portal Pro
    May 23, 2009
    hoborg

Sent you a message with a link.

I still have an issue with CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD10) 1.0.0.2229, the problem is switching to and from HD channels of different types.

For example, if I'm viewing BBC HD (all fine) then change to ITV HD, ITV HD picture will be shown with frames being dropped, and also in the other direction, i.e. watching ITV HD (all fine) and then change to BBC HD, BBC HD will be shown with frames being dropping.

I don't get a problem if a SD channel is viewed between the HD channels, for example BBC HD to BBC 2 to ITV HD.

I also don't get a problem if I change between the same type of HD channels (res, bitrate), for example, ITV HD to LUXE HD or
    BBC HD to BBC One HD.

Is there a setting I can change to force MP to recreate the graph when channels are changed (I know this will take longer for channel changes).

Please note I don't get any problem now with recorded programes.

For me this codec is the best I have used on my WinXP PC.

Thanks,

Q505

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I still have an issue with CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD10) 1.0.0.2229, the problem is switching to and from HD channels of different types.

For example, if I'm viewing BBC HD (all fine) then change to ITV HD, ITV HD picture will be shown with frames being dropped, and also in the other direction, i.e. watching ITV HD (all fine) and then change to BBC HD, BBC HD will be shown with frames being dropping.

I don't get a problem if a SD channel is viewed between the HD channels, for example BBC HD to BBC 2 to ITV HD.

I also don't get a problem if I change between the same type of HD channels (res, bitrate), for example, ITV HD to LUXE HD or
    BBC HD to BBC One HD.
    Many people on various forums that I follow have issues with BBC HD streams. They are using advanced features of the h.264 standard to try and use as little bandwidth as possible for transmission. Some codecs simply can't support their streams. As I understand it they are also a nightmare to edit...

Is there a setting I can change to force MP to recreate the graph when channels are changed (I know this will take longer for channel changes).
    Not exactly, but you can get the graph to be reset when the channel is stopped. Try this:

1. Open a command line (nasty I know, but bear with me!).
    2. Change directory to your TV Server install directory (example: cd "C:\Program Files\MediaPortal 1.1.2\TV Server").
    3. Type SetupTv.exe --DebugOptions.
    4. TV Server configuration should start with a new section in the left hand side called "Debug Options".
    5. Try turning on "always reset graph after stop".

Warning: debug options are not for playing with unless you know what you're doing.

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006
    Using Windows 7 x64 and Freeview HD myself... only codec that works flawlessly with BBC HD is Microsofts DMO decoder. I notice you haven't tried it. Freeview HD is still 1440x1080 h.264 so maybe that will work for you. I'm guessing you're using Sky or Freesat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom